• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curly Hair not eating.

Ijusthaveaquestion

I just got my first tarantula, don't know the sex of it. It's about 1.5in. I started dropping crickets in it's enclosure but even when I drop them very close on the tarantula, it doesn't eat. Can some experts help me?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I am not an expert, but do have some experience. Tarantulas can take awhile to warm up to their new surroundings, so it might not be ready yet or even hungry. Give it some alone time.

When I got my first tarantula about nine months ago, it spent hours scrunched up on an enclosure wall with some webbing. I asked here about that as I had panicked that it might be dying. The forum calmed me down and explained about tarantulas aacclimating. She was fine. She still is.

I do think we need more information from you. Pictures of your enclosure and tarantula inside would be helpful. There may be something unsettling to your T.

Also the species name, not the general name but the Greek or Latin name such as my tarantula is a G. pulchripes or Grammostola pulchripes (commonly called Chaco Golden Knee.) Some common names can be confusing.

Also, and I know I am stealing somebody's thunder, but please do introduce yourself in the introduction thread.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
clown-27.gif

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome to the forum.

T's can go months without eating. They take time to settle into new enclosures. Some prefer to wait & eat. Some eat within minutes of arriving in the post. Some t's......

Basically, like us, T's are all different. In general, if food is not eaten within 24 hours remove it. But I have 2 T's who take their time & get food left for 24 hours. My wife has a heroic old world Pokie, that will only eat small, not very frightening crickets, anything too big & she stresses & hides. I have sling & juvie new worlds that will happily take down crickets that are bigger than I would normally use for their size.

Give your T some time & I am sure it will eat when it is ready.

Ijusthaveaquestion

Thanks for the help! My T just discovered its hide and began webbing it up, I'm pretty sure the crickets I have been feeding my T have went in the hide for the darkness so it might of ate.

Ijusthaveaquestion

I am not an expert, but do have some experience. Tarantulas can take awhile to warm up to their new surroundings, so it might not be ready yet or even hungry. Give it some alone time.

When I got my first tarantula about nine months ago, it spent hours scrunched up on an enclosure wall with some webbing. I asked here about that as I had panicked that it might be dying. The forum calmed me down and explained about tarantulas aacclimating. She was fine. She still is.

I do think we need more information from you. Pictures of your enclosure and tarantula inside would be helpful. There may be something unsettling to your T.

Also the species name, not the general name but the Greek or Latin name such as my tarantula is a G. pulchripes or Grammostola pulchripes (commonly called Chaco Golden Knee.) Some common names can be confusing.

Also, and I know I am stealing somebody's thunder, but please do introduce yourself in the introduction thread.
Thanks for the help, sadly I can't post an image for private reasons.

pongdict

If you can, take the crickets out. It is not advisable to leave live prey in as it can hurt a molting T. I usually take the preys out if the T is not interested.