• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curly Hair molted last night, no abdomen on molt and she’s still upside down

500Miles

My curly hair tarantula I got last week molted last night in one of her hides, she was still upside down this morning so i waited a little longer and it seemed like maybe the molt was in the way cause it was kind of a tight spot. So i pulled the molt out a little bit ago and notice the molt has no abdomen so I don’t think it came off.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sometimes the abdomen curls up so it's not so easy to see. Can you get a picture of the moult?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's difficult to tell on your pic but I've circled it on this photo of 1 of mine. It may have broken off when you removed the moult and still be in the hide.

DSCF6639 (2).JPG

If it is still attached you need to use a moist, soft brush to loosen it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In that case I think I'd lift the hide off her and have a look. While she's on her back you should be able to see if her old exo is still attached to her abdomen in which case you could use the moist brush to remove it. Is she moving at all?

500Miles

I will do that, every now and then she moves a leg I can take a picture of her and post if i need to
She does not look good at all when i pulled the hide off she moved a lot but her back legs especially don’t look right

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry about her legs, if necessary she will cast them off and they will regrow after a moult or 2. The fact she is moving her leg is a good sign, they do that after a moult and at least she's alive. Maybe she just didn't have the space to pump herself up..

500Miles

That’s what i was thinking like the hide was too small for her, I am definitely going to get something with a little more space, she kicked her legs quite a bit when I brushed a little water on her abdomen

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd leave her now and hopefully she'll sort herself out.
Most Curly Hairs will dig under their hides to make space but if you've only had her a week she may not have had chance.

500Miles

Okay I’ll put the hide back, thank you for all your help. It did seem like she was trying to flip herself a second ago so I’ll leave her be for now. And thank you again!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd be tempted to leave the hide off until she flips back over. Let us know how she goes on, please.

500Miles

Well she flipped over finally and I was hoping the carapace was under her but that looks like it’s still attached as well as the abdomen. But she has water avalible and I guess I’ll wait and see what happens.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's good news. All you need to do is check on her old exo to make sure her fangs and mouth area have moulted. She may get rid of the rest herself if there is some still attached.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's great news.
I have a P.metallica that has a piece of old exo stuck on her abdomen since her last moult in December but it doesn't seem to bother her.

Latest posts