• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curly Hair Behavior - Another New Owner Post

kaeuri

First off: I’m so sorry about a third ‘new owner post’ ! I’ll try to post a little less but I figure better safe than sorry especially since I tend to be an anxious with a new pet

So Saturday, the 25th I decided to try to feed her (my T Albo) again, since the last time she ate was at the hobby store Weds, the 16th and she denied it Weds the 23rd. I’ve had her officially for a week and a lil extra, so i refilled her water dish and put a little extra super dry substrate ontop of her substrate which seemed to be a little damp compared to normal. She recently dug a tiny hole in the corner of the enclosure and doing all this care put her back into a stress curl. I figured it was all this extra work that put her into this position which of course i felt bad because she was just getting use to the enclosure: webbing like crazy and such. But it’s now Monday, 27th and she’s still in that position (with an exception for a maybe an hour. I have no idea why she went back into her little dig hole.)

I’m not sure why she would still be in that position, is it possible all that movement would still cause her to take this position?

Could it be too much moisture in the tank? (She’s in a very warm room, I figured since I can’t stand in there comfortably I turn the AC on in for 30 minutes until I find it comfortable in there and that can cause condensation at the bottom of the tank)

I bought her another plant that could hide her better but I don’t know if I should put it in and add extra stress :(

I want to say she was completely fine beforehand and was webbing and everything after the rehousing stress wore off. I will provide pictures. Currently at work so Will respond ASAP. thank you guys so much for dealing with my new owner posts, i do feel bad !
B71CE5E4-BFA6-4D44-AAF6-713BF7047757.jpeg
93CF90E6-1291-4A66-A4BA-6A1588C0D344.jpeg
B71CE5E4-BFA6-4D44-AAF6-713BF7047757.jpeg
93CF90E6-1291-4A66-A4BA-6A1588C0D344.jpeg

kaeuri

She looks fine to me. I'd leave her a week before feeding again, just make sure her water is topped up and I'm sure she'll soon settle in.
thank you for the response!! she is molting currently as we speak. this is my first ever molt. caught me off guard because the exotics shop said she molted 2 or so months ago? she’s only 3 maybe 4 inches so. very excited but incredibly nervous lol

timc

3 Year Member
Nice! That explains why she wasn’t eating. They do get pretty lethargic before a molt, so if you do notice her activity levels decrease, don’t worry. She’s just preparing for one of the most arduous parts of her life, especially the older they get. She’s very pretty. Glad you’re enjoying her!

kaeuri

Nice! That explains why she wasn’t eating. They do get pretty lethargic before a molt, so if you do notice her activity levels decrease, don’t worry. She’s just preparing for one of the most arduous parts of her life, especially the older they get. She’s very pretty. Glad you’re enjoying her!
She’s so lovely! The molt went well and she’s preening as we speak :)