• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

curiosity kills me

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
There has been lots of hybridizing in the hobby during past decades: B albo x B vagans, B smithi x B boehmei, C marshalli x C brachicephalus, P cambridgei x P irminia, etc. There's even hybridization in nature. But as Enn said, it's better to avoid creating hybrids by our human power. Tarantulas are not like corn snakes for instance. Personnaly, I'm opposed to such hazardous experimentations with tarantulas. But it's fine to ask, of course! And to discuss about it!

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I think that a lot of it is probably already taking place - more than people know. Only because there are a lot of people breeding who don't have a lot of experience and some of the hybrids out there have very subtle differences that new comers can't recognize. Maybe a first generation hybrid would look differently to the untrained eye, but then breed it again with a non-hybrid and indications of one of the pair being a hybrid are less obvious. Even people with experience have been duped.
It is not a good thing to do - not with any species. With mammals, it is more difficult because most times the offspring of hybrids are sterile. Conservation of a species is far more important than experimentation and novelty.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most, if not all, of the people breeding tarantulas would never know a hybrid from a "pure" species, unless there were obvious differences in appearance.. They go by what they've seen or experienced. If you had a hybrid boehmei that looked almost exactly like a regular boehmei, how would you know? Unless you're a taxonomist..

Latest posts