• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cross-ventilation question for Avics

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have a couple of A. avics in Exo-Terras. Both cribs are cross-ventilated but I have a question. Do those provide sufficient ventilation as is or would a slight breeze running thru the enclosures be of any benefit? Thanx.
:T:

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a C versicolor in an ExoTerra nano. The ventilation is excellent. Unless you have a water spill in your enclosure from overfilling the water dish, you don't need a fan.

A gentle steady breeze doesn't upset mine too much.

Still, since excess humidity can kill these guys, it pays to monitor it with a humidity gauge and to have a suitable fan at hand or a backup enclosure just in case the humidity gets out of control. These guys only need an elevated water dish.

If you observe them on the ground, they might be dehydrated. Gently guide the tarantula to the water dish & put in a larger more shallow dish.

Of course, if you have another tarantula that isn't sensitive to humidity, there's probably no need to watch it.

These guys are DRY but not arid spiders. Your home humidity is probably fine. Almost all arboreal tarantulas appreciate excellent ventilation.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Humidity doesnt kill Avics...stagnant air does. They originate from one of the most humid places in the world. However they live in the tree tops with lots of breeze going on. Hobbyists choose to keep them on the dry side because it works...less deaths. I keep mine a little more moist then a arid species.Your exo terra is perfect for your 8 legged friend. I keep all mine in those.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The humidity in those places is high at ground level but not so much as you get higher up.

Humid air is much denser then less humid air.

The problem with the avic caresheets is that they integrated humidity as recorded at ground level because most scientists won't climb a one hundred foot tall tree just to take readings.

There are a wide variety of snakes in said trees and some of them are venomous, not to mention monkeys and other critters that might resent a newcomer.

Anyone who has parasailed or even climbed a mountain or a tree will have noticed how humidity drops dramatically.

Last edited: