• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cross breeding

aragog27_tj

3 Year Member
As you guys know I have been searching for an Avicularia Urticans and it seems like it is impossible to find; because of importing issues I guess idk. But I was wondering If I can't find this lil guy a mate can I cross breed him with an Avicularia purpea (idk the spelling lol) or any other kind of pinktoe? Can somebody please give me an answer on the fly lol.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's a big NO Bro.... You have at least 2 years to find him a mate. It could be easier to sell him though. If I were you id put a add out for a breeding loan...youll get half of his offspring. Most people with a mature female aren't going to sell. I do see females though ...they're out there.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As you guys know I have been searching for an Avicularia Urticans and it seems like it is impossible to find; because of importing issues I guess idk. But I was wondering If I can't find this lil guy a mate can I cross breed him with an Avicularia purpea (idk the spelling lol) or any other kind of pinktoe? Can somebody please give me an answer on the fly lol.
I get your strong desire to get him a mate. We will keep our eyes open for you. It seems simple enough: breed with a like Avicularia. HOWEVER, the term “cross-breeding” is an error when it comes to tarantulas. Avicularia is a Genus. Urticans is a species as you know.....not a breed. It would be like crossing a bengal tiger with a savannah lion: 2 different species that produces a sterile offspring which is a perversion of each.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I get your strong desire to get him a mate. We will keep our eyes open for you. It seems simple enough: breed with a like Avicularia. HOWEVER, the term “cross-breeding” is an error when it comes to tarantulas. Avicularia is a Genus. Urticans is a species as you know.....not a breed. It would be like crossing a bengal tiger with a savannah lion: 2 different species that produces a sterile offspring which is a perversion of each.

Are they necessarily sterile though? Breeding a Pantherophis guttatus (Corn snake) and Pantherophis Emoryi (Great Plains Rat Snake) together produces what is known as a Creamsicle Corn snake and I know they are not sterile.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This should be logical, but to get a hybrid you still have to find one in the first place. In that case, why not just keep it?

Hybrid tarantulas aren't treated like reptile morphs or new breeds of cats such as the Savannah. Economically they aren't worth anything and if hybrids are reintroduced into the wild its feared that they could cause extinction of the original species or damage to the Eco system.

In my opinion, hybrids shouldn't be kept where there's a chance of them surviving if they should escape, unlikely though that might seem.

Hybrids shouldn't be mistreated of course, just clearly labeled and never bred, even with other hybrids (although that wouldn't be as bad)

The reason why the hybrids are fertile is that the original species are much more like races then true distinct species, which means is easier to mess them up.

Latest posts