• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket keeper, will they escape from this?

ryanm7277

Getting my first order of crickets and I don’t want them out and about in my house…so any advice on how to keep ‘em quiet and in the enclosure, is much appreciated. Also tips and tricks wouldn’t hurt. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

Blackdog

No way in my house crickets stink worse than my tortoises! I would only bring home a few for each feeding. A ****roach colony would be better and give you more size varieties. Hope to help!

Lentulus

3 Year Member
Keep outside if possible or in the garage. They will make noise, that’s unavoidable. Like mentioned, they smell awful. Tape up all those slots from the inside with packing tape and then poke holes in it. The smaller ones can easily escape through those slots. Even the slots on the tippy top!

ryanm7277

Well I was gonna put the critter keeper inside of a large tuperware container, in the hopes of keeping them from escaping and also keeping the noise down, but I am scared if I put them outside or in the garage, wont they wind up attracting more? I am deathly afraid of roaches, so unfortunately I will never be feeding or handling or bring those into my house, not an option at all.

Sugar Wolf

I use one of those cricket pens to put my crickets in I only purchase the large crickets and only large crickets I put in the pen they have never escaped from it how the pen is but once or twice I had a cricket jump out from the hatch opening... Small crickets will probably get out as Lentulus said... They do stink and make noises all day all night for me at least...

Sugar Wolf

I keep my cricket pen inside in the same room with my tarantulas inside a cupboard they honestly don't stink that bad for me inside the cupboard until there taken out... Putting them outside though eliminates the stink inside your home but also if you live in a hotter/colder area they will die off more quickly cause they are temperature sensitive.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Do not use carrots or fruit to hydrate crickets.
Keep them bone dry, give them dry foods only, and for hydration, use cricket gel or beetle jelly instead.
If you give crickets too much water they develop diarrhea and their feces will stick to things and foul the enclosure up. But if you give them less moisture, their feces are drier like pellets and are much less odorous.

The best way to keep crickets IMO is with a false bottom made of screen mesh, with a tray below to collect fecal matter and bits of food that drop. the only time you want substrate is if you intend to breed them- a shallow delicup filled with moist sand the crickets can easily walk onto will make breeding easy

mandylydena

I use Critter Keepers for my crickets and haven’t had any escape. I clean their enclosure every day, so I occasionally have an escapee while trying to move the egg crate to a temporary enclosure. Because I keep them clean they don’t smell. I have little plastic cups that I use for cricket gel and oats and I do feed carrots, but everything gets tossed and cleaned in 24 hours. My crickets generally thrive for weeks. They like the spare room closet best for temperature control.

x_raphael_xx

I use cricket keepers. I have one for the big crickets and one for the little cricket (so it's easier to get the right size for the right pet).
Mine have dark tubes for ease of cricket collecting. They like the dark of the tube so run up and sit in them. Then you just pull one out and shake out into a feeding pot.

BecabooWho

Getting my first order of crickets and I don’t want them out and about in my house…so any advice on how to keep ‘em quiet and in the enclosure, is much appreciated. Also tips and tricks wouldn’t hurt. Thanks
I use that same enclosure. I get medium/large and they’ve never escaped. I keep the tank in the bathroom on a shelf because I can just shut the door when they’re being loud & the cat can’t reach, & regular use of the bathroom fan keeps smell to a minimum. And I won’t forget to check on them like I did when I left them in the spare room.