• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Considering another arboreal

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The COVID quarantine has get me down and for some reason I'm finding solace in attending to, and growing, my collection of Ts. Even though we just received a P. gigas sling, and before that a G. pulchripes sling, I'm looking for more! Lol

My fave LPS has a 2" P. irminia that I can set up in a 4x4x8 amac container like our A. avicularia is in then eventually move to an Exo Terra Nano (8x8x12) - an enclosure I'm considering standardizing in for my arboreal collection.

Also considering a 3/4"-1"Tapinauchenius violaceus at the LPS, it's a bit cheaper than P. irminia and about the same size.

Lastly thinking about a 1"-1.25" Pseudoclamoris burgessi along from Jamie's Tarantulas. I receive shipments from them in a day, usually, and I need a few more supplies from them...

The goal for my collection is diversity in appearance and personality/characteristics and also ease of care. Nothing too fragile or sensitive. I also don't want a spider that hides 95% of the time. Lol

Any input regarding these species would be appreciated. I've read a bunch about both online but nothing beats first hand experience.
Thanks!

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The COVID quarantine has get me down and for some reason I'm finding solace in attending to, and growing, my collection of Ts. Even though we just received a P. gigas sling, and before that a G. pulchripes sling, I'm looking for more! Lol

My fave LPS has a 2" P. irminia that I can set up in a 4x4x8 amac container like our A. avicularia is in then eventually move to an Exo Terra Nano (8x8x12) - an enclosure I'm considering standardizing in for my arboreal collection.

Also considering a 3/4"-1"Tapinauchenius violaceus from Jamie's Tarantulas. I receive shipments from them in a day, usually.

The goal for my collection is diversity in appearance and personality/characteristics and also ease of care. Nothing too fragile or sensitive. I also don't want a spider that hides 95% of the time. Lol

Any input regarding these species would be appreciated. I've read a bunch about both online but nothing beats first hand experience.
Thanks!
P. irminia are excellent, the Psalmopoeus genus in general is great. I can't speak about the other species as I'm not raising the genus in general yet. The P. irminia are very fast, many are defensive. Some say their specimens are very reclusive and others have specimens that come out every now and then, I had four slings, they displayed a little bit of both behaviors.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
P. irminia are excellent, the Psalmopoeus genus in general is great. I can't speak about the other species as I'm not raising the genus in general yet. The P. irminia are very fast, many are defensive. Some say their specimens are very reclusive and others have specimens that come out every now and then, I had four slings, they displayed a little bit of both behaviors.

Thanks for your reply!

Just realized I mistyped my post, and edited it to correct it.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
T violaceus is much the same as the gigas for care but in our experience much more reclusive.

P. irminia is a lovely T (we have 6) great feeders slings can be abit reclusive but we also have slings that are always visible much like Panzo described. Once they get abit of size they seem to wander more and be visible althou will hide if disturbed.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
T violaceus is much the same as the gigas for care but in our experience much more reclusive.

P. irminia is a lovely T (we have 6) great feeders slings can be abit reclusive but we also have slings that are always visible much like Panzo described. Once they get abit of size they seem to wander more and be visible althou will hide if disturbed.
Appreciate the response!

Seems P. irminia is the winner out of the 3 provided in my post. Are there any other species I would be considering to meet my criteria?
(Coloring/personality, care and display-worthy)
I don't want a fuzzy brown bump on a log lol

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of my favorites...always out except premolt. A must for any collection.
20190613_110404.jpg
20190419_200558.jpg
20190303_182202.jpg
20170904_140717.jpg
20170918_200641.jpg

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, that pretty much sold me. Gorgeous!

And now the crap shoot of slings, hoping for a female and waiting 1-2 years to find out

I don't know what they're like over the pond but they're very cheap here so you could get more than one. Or if you get 1 and it's male it's a good excuse to get another. (And males aren't as bad as people like to make out)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know what they're like over the pond but they're very cheap here so you could get more than one. Or if you get 1 and it's male it's a good excuse to get another. (And males aren't as bad as people like to make out)

LPS has 2" for $60, mail order is about half, but $40 for shipping and "risk" of DOA, etc

Their cheap...and they grow fast. They will go from 2nd instar to 3" in a year.

Define cheap...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
LPS has 2" for $60, mail order is about half, but $40 for shipping and "risk" of DOA, etc

Define cheap...
First off...buy from a breeder not a large online shop. Facebook groups are a great way to find breeders.

PNW has 1" slings for $30 each...
I've seen slings as cheap as $15 in facebook groups.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
PNW is $39 shipping no LAG, $50 with LAG - that's $80 a for a single sling with live guarantee.

Guess I need to find some FB groups...

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gonna swing by my LPS to see the T guy there who only works a few days a week... let's see if he's willing to be Monty Hall for me lol

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gonna swing by my LPS to see the T guy there who only works a few days a week... let's see if he's willing to be Monty Hall for me lol

Desperate times in the T-selling world and I have a new to me P. irminia sling!

$40 cash and thank you very much. Picked up some cork bark too for future enclosures