• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confirm this is a male

J.huff23

3 Year Member
I recently bought a confirmed female OBT from a seller. It has molted and is clearly male. I've sexed tons of Ts in my life. The seller is now saying you cannot tell from this picture and he would like me to get the OBT out so he can vent sex it. I come to find this is how it was sexed when he sold it to me.

So I ask, do these pictures leave any doubts as to the gender of this T?

PS. He sold it to me at 2.25-2.5 inches and it is now 3 inches.
20190917_171017.jpg

J.huff23

3 Year Member
Exactly. And I know it isnt the best picture but how can anybody think this is not a male and then request a central picture? So I'm not really sure how to address this issue at this point. I guess I'm just out that money and learned a lesson.

AndrewClayton

Exactly. And I know it isnt the best picture but how can anybody think this is not a male and then request a central picture? So I'm not really sure how to address this issue at this point. I guess I'm just out that money and learned a lesson.
It is quite hard to ventral sex these at a smaller size, I think, and ventral sexing is never 100% accurate, genus like Theraphosa are however very obvious and can be accurately ventral sexed. The majority of other genus, differences are negligible at best between Male and Female. It is just an educated guess, especially with Pterinochilus Murinus. Any experienced breeder/seller should know the basics of this and know the only true way to sex is with the moult. I’d try and look into this further as it is clearly false advertising and you should be entitled to a female or a refund for the price difference between the two. Best of luck

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can see why it would be difficult to tell the sex of the tarantula in this pic (due to location of flash reflection). I would take another pic in natural lighting without the flash. It appears male to me...but the only reason I say that is because I can't tell if there is spermatheca there due to the flash in the pic. Also, the semi circle or half moon shape of the furrow is leading me to believe female....so I can't tell. 50 male....50 female....evaluating the photo. Can you take another pic of the molt?

J.huff23

3 Year Member
Yes actually. This person refuses to believe this is a male and requested a vent picture because apparently this is how he sexes his stock. So I sent him vent shots that he is still refuting. So I'm not really sure how to proceed here. He refuses to acknowledge anything and I feel like I'm being jerked around.

I'm blown away that this person vent sexed a 2.5 inch obt and tried to pass it off as a confirmed female. And they are a reputable dealer so I dont really want to catch any backlash.

20190920_180333.jpg
20190920_215905.jpg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes actually. This person refuses to believe this is a male and requested a vent picture because apparently this is how he sexes all of his stock to see because he thinks he is good at it. So I sent him vent shots that he is still refuting. So I'm not really sure how to proceed here. He refuses to acknowledge anything and is basically jerking me around.

I'm blown away that this person vent sexed a 2.5 inch obt and tried to pass it off as a confirmed female. And they are a reputable dealer so I dont really want to catch any backlash.

View attachment 40893View attachment 40894

In the bottom pic there appears to be the formation of epiandrous fusillae ....indicating male.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The best way to ventral sex them is to look between the rear most pair of legs. If you see what looks like tiny spinnerettes, it's male. If not, it's female. The slit between the book lungs is far more tricky. I fell for that one when trying to see my B hamorii. I saw what looked like a slit and thought female. The molt confirmed otherwise. I've since seen otherwise. The molt also was male but even that was difficult to see.

J.huff23

3 Year Member
I never vent sex by the slit. I look for the patch of hair between the first set of book lungs. But either way I sent this person those molt pics and they still didnt agree that it was male. I sent vent shots and they stood by thinking it was female. So basically I'm just screwed.

This is a reputable dealer too who has been around a while

J.huff23

3 Year Member
The seller just emailed saying that he has his taxonimst friend looo at the picture and he also "guesses" that it's a male.

He is only offering a 50 percent discount on a female obt. Which is just insane to me. I'm asking for a full refund of the T. I think it seems reasonable of me to ask

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The best way to ventral sex them is to look between the rear most pair of legs. If you see what looks like tiny spinnerettes, it's male. If not, it's female. The slit between the book lungs is far more tricky. I fell for that one when trying to see my B hamorii. I saw what looked like a slit and thought female. The molt confirmed otherwise. I've since seen otherwise. The molt also was male but even that was difficult to see.
I have never come across that method before. So....If I am reading your post properly, you are saying the additional mini spinnerets are the equivalent of claspers on Male sharks? (best way I can describe it ha ha) so based on the pic, the OBT is clearly Male because of the area I have circled? Is that right or did you mean something else? :)
Screenshot_20190922-101653_Samsung Internet.jpg

AndrewClayton

The seller just emailed saying that he has his taxonimst friend looo at the picture and he also "guesses" that it's a mature male.

He is only offering a 50 percent discount on a female obt. Which is just insane to me. I'm asking for a full refund of the T. I think it seems reasonable of me to ask
It’s his mistake I’d be wanting to keep the Male for inconvenience and receive a female since that’s what you paid for in the 1st place

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I have never come across that method before. So....If I am reading your post properly, you are saying the additional mini spinnerets are the equivalent of claspers on Male sharks? (best way I can describe it ha ha) so based on the pic, the OBT is clearly Male because of the area I have circled? Is that right or did you mean something else? :)
View attachment 40928

I've never heard of that either!! Surely those are just the normal spinnerettes of Obt's??

I always thought they made the sperm web with their epiandrous fusillae, which are sited in the patch of hair above the furrow. They are hard to see but sometimes appear as thicker shorter hairs in pairs or following the line of an arch. Your picture suggests male to me, as to the right I think I can see a pair of them. Looks like short thick hair within the patch of hair. If y know what I mean!