• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

concerns about buying wild caught T.Blondi

Makkas

3 Year Member
Hello,
I have a concern about purchasing a WC T.Blondi. It is hard to find breeders of these wonderful t's but I have found several in my area that have wild caught available. I have a guy that has one that is near 10" that he says is very healthy and has never been fed any mice whatsoever. I really need a good opinion from you guys if possible. I am not new to the hobby but I just don't want to waste money either. Thanks and I looked forward to hearing from you guys

Samuraisid

3 Year Member
For starters, there is little to no proof that the calcium stores found in vertebrates will affect a Tarantulas molting process. This myth was created when someone decided to make the assumption that since other invertebrates can have issues with their exoskeletons when they have too much calcium in their diets, that T's will be affected by this as well. Unfortunately no amount of anecdotal evidence seems to shift peoples belief on the subject.

Ive heard that the reason we have so few T. blondis around is because a lot of the ones that were imported turned out to be T. stirmi. You might want to double check on that yourself.... I believe the patellal markings will have more of a pink undertone to them, as opposed to the white stripes fading to brown.

Suggest you find out how long ago it was caught.