• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Communal or variety???

What would you get?...

• 6 sling M. balfouri communal

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 10-12 other slings of diff species?

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

xTN-ANTMANx

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, so as title of this thread states, I'm at a crossroads LOL. Ever since getting back into the invert hobby I have seen numerous species that, of course, I want to add to my collection. One of which being the M. balfouri mainly because of the communal setup. I mean who wouldn't want a setup that houses multiple Ts at one time. I'm sure it's every tarantula keeper's dream. At the same time though for the price I would be spending on 6 slings I could get probably double the variety and other species. Now I'll make my decision on my own of course but I'm curious to know what you guys think. See if I can be swayed lol. Oh, the M. balfouri slings id be getting would be 3/4-1"...

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I looked into communal keeping a few years ago when I got my N. incei but decided not to risk it as I couldn't bear the thought of some being eaten. I'd much rather buy more different species. Just make sure one of them is the M, balfouri :).

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are reports of many successful communals. The balfouri communals are probably the least likely to undergo cannibalism. Another successful one is H. villosella. Some people keep pokies communally, N. incei, (as Ennie noted) and even various baboon species. All of the latter have shown territorial cannibalism. Of course, the other risk is 5-6 slings turning into hundreds once they mature.:D I am thinking of starting an H. villosella communal (much cheaper).

xTN-ANTMANx

3 Year Member
I'm already leaning towards getting more species than the communal but id like to still get a female M. balfouri because Arachnoclown has a great point...to have a successful breeding of the species would be the perfect time to try the communal.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They don't get lonely or need friends. Why take the chance of cannibalism or conflicts?
Valid points. I tend to agree. Yet, according to Tom Moran (infitely wiser than me), his communal M. balfouri communal is thriving. His juvies are growing faster than either of his single specimens. And....dare I say it....they are cooperating. 9 Ts in essentially a Jamie’s large terrestrial enclosure. Not one significant fight nor one instance of cannibalism.
I fear that our experience as hobbiests leads to hubris that can show itself to be short-sighted in the future.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a valid point. If you're a breeder, a communal setup makes it a zillion times easier. Just feed them, maintain them and catch juveniles whenever someone wants one.

I suspect that someday M balfouri will be as common as L parahybiana if communal setups prove to be stable and productive.

Latest posts