• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coconut substrate

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
I got a 4" LP with coconut substrate and it spends most of the time in the hide or climbing. Is it because of the loose substrate? I know a lp should not really climb so any help would be appreciated.

Redacted

3 Year Member
I got a 4" LP with coconut substrate and it spends most of the time in the hide or climbing. Is it because of the loose substrate? I know a lp should not really climb so any help would be appreciated.
If it's been only a day or two, could just be getting settled. Much more beyond that and I would change the substrate.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My lp we stay in the hide mostly. But i will catch it out of it here and there. Idk if this is only me. But most of my Ts will climb when they are hungry. Once I feed them they stop until they are hungry again.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Is the substrate damp? I noticed some of my T's will climb the walls if the sub is damp and the would prefer it to be dry.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of my LPs has spent most of his life climbing except as a sling. His main aim seemed to be to get on the underside of the lid, he's never quite managed it. The other, thought to be female, also likes to climb the sides but just to wander around. I've kept them both on coco fibre since they were 1" slings and not had any problems with it

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Good suggestions thus far.
If the coconut substrate is coconut husks/chips, I would change it, to something else, regardless.

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
20170203_163550.jpg
20170203_163550.jpg

Still hanging out. Day 3

Attachments

• 20170203_163038.jpg
    20170203_163038.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have found that no 2 or 3 Ts of the same species behave in the same way. I have 4 female Phlogiellus sp. Khao sok, they arrived a week before Christmas and have all got different habits.
1. Filled her container with web in a couple of days and sits beneath a hole in full view.
2. Burrowed below the water bowl but has now filled her container with web but hides in her burrow.
3. Burrowed under the cork bark then webbed a little tunnel where she sits with her feet on show.
4. Disappeared under the cork bark, no webbing and I never see her
The only thing they have in common is they all like their food.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
I have found that no 2 or 3 Ts of the same species behave in the same way. I have 4 female Phlogiellus sp. Khao sok, they arrived a week before Christmas and have all got different habits.
1. Filled her container with web in a couple of days and sits beneath a hole in full view.
2. Burrowed below the water bowl but has now filled her container with web but hides in her burrow.
3. Burrowed under the cork bark then webbed a little tunnel where she sits with her feet on show.
4. Disappeared under the cork bark, no webbing and I never see her
The only thing they have in common is they all like their food.

I have to explain this to my buddy all the time. He instantly assumes his new T is defective if they don't behave typical to their species. :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like that's the coco-fiber substrate. Should be fine. I keep my LP on a mix of dry coco-fiber and peat moss. Is it storming in your area? my LP will climb the walls for a couple days before a storm.