• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coco fiber bricks

Phobik1

3 Year Member
Just got a couple of Ts and bought a pkg of coco fiber bricks. While breaking down the first brick i came across some kinnd of white substance that felt like some kind of gravel. Is this normal?
20200211_222608.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
It is weird though, I wouldn't be happy finding that much in a brick. Will def add onto the weight of the brick (makes you wonder) and it looks quite chalky in your photo

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is very weird, I must admit I have never come across anything like that before. I actually found a large screw in a bag of coco fiber a while back.

E

ExMember

This thread makes me glad I stopped using those bricks. I used to by pucks of that stuff. But now I just buy the loose bags. The problem is that when hydrated it takes soooo long for it to dry out. Like weeks. I have some from 6 months ago sitting in a tub that I use occasionally but usually use the loose bag stuff. Sometimes it is too crumbly so I add peat in with it.

I'm sure my Grammastola pulchra Betsy wanted to bite me last rehouse. I rehydrated a puck 2 weeks before and she wouldn't even touch the sub. I put her water dish in the corner and she would walk along the wall and go down to drink. Now she's cool though. It has been 3 months. But for the first month she was on the lid as far away from the sub as possible!

What brand is that? I want some of that cheap blow! (Jk)

I have used eco earth for what feels like ages and have never seen that in a loose bag, puck or brick. I would probably return it.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I cheat with my bricks. I just add enough water to loosen up the brick a bit (involves dipping in and out of water or a running tap) and then go to work on the rest with a cheese grater. Labour intensive yes but you end up with dry loose substrate that I often have to add water to once it's in the enclosure, for slings and so forth. Id prefer to buy the loose but the pet shop near me just sells the bricks. They do have a website though so I'll have to see if I can get the bags on there for click n collect. They def have more stuff on their site than they carry in the store.

E

ExMember

I cheat with my bricks. I just add enough water to loosen up the brick a bit (involves dipping in and out of water or a running tap) and then go to work on the rest with a cheese grater. Labour intensive yes but you end up with dry loose substrate that I often have to add water to once it's in the enclosure, for slings and so forth. Id prefer to buy the loose but the pet shop near me just sells the bricks. They do have a website though so I'll have to see if I can get the bags on there for click n collect. They def have more stuff on their site than they carry in the store.

Thats a great idea! Cheese grater you say? It is kinda hard to find the loose bags in my neck of the woods too. Everyone carries the bricks though. And bricks are way cheaper too.

Thanks for the tip @Jess S

Phobik1

3 Year Member
So ive been adding water, a lil at a time and shaving off the loose stuff w a knife. Thanx for all the input. Im pretty sure you can end up w just about anything in a brick at least once. Im not too worried about it now.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I buy big sacks of loose coco fibre direct from a garden supplier. 60 litres of it for about £18 delivered to my door..Probably x20 cheaper than the equivalent in bricks and no hassle rehydrating as it's already done! If you have a large collection I would recommend it. It sometimes goes under the name Coir in the gardening fraternity.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Latest posts