• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coco Coir: chemically treated?

kitlimon

Hi there! I've wanted a pet T for as long as I can remember and am finally in a position to bring one home. I've been researching and working on setting up a home before picking one up and am looking over substrates. It looks like coco coir is a good option that I can actually access, but in looking it up some articles are saying that it MAY be treated chemically toward the end of production. The most accessible brand to me right now is Vigoro and I'm not able to find any information about their process. I was wondering if anybody else has experience with this brand or any ideas/information that can help me. Thank you in advance!

-kit

testdasi

Hi there! I've wanted a pet T for as long as I can remember and am finally in a position to bring one home. I've been researching and working on setting up a home before picking one up and am looking over substrates. It looks like coco coir is a good option that I can actually access, but in looking it up some articles are saying that it MAY be treated chemically toward the end of production. The most accessible brand to me right now is Vigoro and I'm not able to find any information about their process. I was wondering if anybody else has experience with this brand or any ideas/information that can help me. Thank you in advance!

-kit
Exo Terra / Zoo Ned Eco Earth is the go-to option. I generally go with anything that is advertised as safe for animal use (especially invert / reptile).

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always choose Zoo Med. :) It's organic and not chemically treated but does tend to dry out fairly quickly. This could present an issue if you have species with higher humidity requirements such as Theraphosa. In this instance I would mix vermiculite with some sphagnum moss. 60:40 ratio eco earth to sphagnum moss/vermiculite to help hold humidity.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I always choose Zoo Med. :) It's organic and not chemically treated but does tend to dry out fairly quickly. This could present an issue if you have species with higher humidity requirements such as Theraphosa. In this instance I would mix vermiculite with some sphagnum moss. 60:40 ratio eco earth to sphagnum moss/vermiculite to help hold humidity.
I share Tom Moran's formula for substrate
4 parts Coco fibre
4 parts peat moss
1 part clean, dry sand
1 part shredded sphagnum moss, or vermiculite, or both!

You can add organic soil if you need more firm substrate, just make sure there are no pesticides, fertilizer or pine, redwood, cedar, etc woods in any product you use with your Ts

kitlimon

I'm looking at getting Grammostola pulchra (Grammostola quirogai? I'm in America so there's that whole thing) and my understanding is they're less particular about humidity (still researching!), but I'll definite keep an eye on the humidity & keep the additions y'all mentioned in mind in case it ends up being a problem! I appreciate the tips!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Moderately dry (slightly damp) substrate will be fine for a Grammosotola. Overflow the water dish once a month and otherwise keep it full with clean water, letting the substrate dry out. You and your T will be fine.

testdasi

I'm looking at getting Grammostola pulchra (Grammostola quirogai? I'm in America so there's that whole thing) and my understanding is they're less particular about humidity (still researching!), but I'll definite keep an eye on the humidity & keep the additions y'all mentioned in mind in case it ends up being a problem! I appreciate the tips!
Getting a sling? Be mindful that Grammostola species tend to grow very slowly so don't be too keen on getting those big enclosures any time soon.
For slings, keeps it moist since they like to burrow. Spray the side of the enclosure so you have droplet of water that it will drink from.
For juvie and up, don't watch humidity using a gauge, it's useless for T. You just need to keep the subtrate slightly moist (if in doubt, err on the drier side) and watch your T. If it seems to like to hang out on the wall of the enclosure (or off the ground e.g. on top of the hide), the substrate is too wet so let it dry out a bit more. If it seems to be next to the water dish all the time then it's too dry so spray a bit (again, err on the drier side) - I doubt this would happen but it can happen depending on your local humidity level. And always keep the water dish clean and full (I tend to just overflow the dish every time it's refilled).

kitlimon

Getting a sling? Be mindful that Grammostola species tend to grow very slowly so don't be too keen on getting those big enclosures any time soon.
For slings, keeps it moist since they like to burrow. Spray the side of the enclosure so you have droplet of water that it will drink from.
For juvie and up, don't watch humidity using a gauge, it's useless for T. You just need to keep the subtrate slightly moist (if in doubt, err on the drier side) and watch your T. If it seems to like to hang out on the wall of the enclosure (or off the ground e.g. on top of the hide), the substrate is too wet so let it dry out a bit more. If it seems to be next to the water dish all the time then it's too dry so spray a bit (again, err on the drier side) - I doubt this would happen but it can happen depending on your local humidity level. And always keep the water dish clean and full (I tend to just overflow the dish every time it's refilled).

Thanks for the advice! I'm not positive yet if I'll be going for a sling, but it seems like the most likely option at this point. Mostly I want to make sure I'm prepared and know what I'm looking at before bringing one home, so that I'm not down the line surprised that this substrate isn't working out or something. Taking notes about spraying the sides and keeping a clean dish. I'm curious, is there anywhere with references as to the growth rate of different species? I know they're slow growing and that's fine by me, I'm just curious how that's defined outside of first-hand experience ( x/y inch per year or something) (spanning a few topics in this thread haha)

testdasi

I'm curious, is there anywhere with references as to the growth rate of different species? I know they're slow growing and that's fine by me, I'm just curious how that's defined outside of first-hand experience ( x/y inch per year or something) (spanning a few topics in this thread haha)
There is no growth rate database that I know of. It's all anecdotal.
Key issue is people have different feeding schedule, prey type, prey size, variety of prey, prey nutritional value, temperature, etc. All these factors affect the growth rate of the T, and then there's specimen variability on top. So it's very hard to get any scientific about it.

kitlimon

There is no growth rate database that I know of. It's all anecdotal.
Key issue is people have different feeding schedule, prey type, prey size, variety of prey, prey nutritional value, temperature, etc. All these factors affect the growth rate of the T, and then there's specimen variability on top. So it's very hard to get any scientific about it.
hmm good to know!