• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C'mon man

timc

3 Year Member
So I know we all love our 8 legged pets but I also know we all have those "c'mon man!" Moments so I wanted to start a thread where we could all share our frustrations and misfortunes. Here's mine (for today):
So neither my OBT or my P. rufilata took their crickets today and now I have to go into the worst two enclosures for recovery:mad::mad::mad: I still love them though

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My biggest frustration is - having chosen my first ever T for her beautiful colour (OBT) and never seeing her.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't really get why that would frustrate you to be honest. I mean they're kind of known for being reclusive in general [emoji14]

Maybe it's because after owning so many pet holes (Ephebopus murinus, Ephebopus cyanognathus, Psalmopoeus irminia, Augacephalus ezendami, Heteroscodra maculata) I have become so used to it. In my experience, OBTs are typically more visible than most of these.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Chubbs As a beginner I hadn't realized just how reclusive they were, I thought then that I would see her sometimes. But I have learnt now to accept the fact that she's eating well and keeping house by chucking her rubbish out and therefore must be happy and the joy when I do see her is a bonus.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At least you see her lol. I haven't seen my Blue Fang or Skeleton Tarantula out in about 3 weeks.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Chubbs I saw 0.25" of a leg last week and the last time I saw all of her was 3 months ago for half an hour.

timc

3 Year Member
My OBT is actually out a lot and often. My first one was for sure a hider but this little guy is king of the castle and wants you to know it! Now my blue fang and rufilata on the other hand...well I can see them at 4 AM if I'm lucky and they're having a good day:T:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My OBT is actually out a lot and often. My first one was for sure a hider but this little guy is king of the castle and wants you to know it! Now my blue fang and rufilata on the other hand...well I can see them at 4 AM if I'm lucky and they're having a good day:T:
I know tarantulas are considered nocturnal and are generally active more at night, but Ephebopus really seem to stick to that rule.

timc

3 Year Member
I know tarantulas are considered nocturnal and are generally active more at night, but Ephebopus really seem to stick to that rule.
Same with the rufilata. That is one antisocial spider. If I just breathe near his container while he's out ZOOM! There's a little green blur headed back to his hideout. i usually have to be happy seeing his big feet sticking out!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Chubbs I always believed most Ts were nocturnal but since getting my O. diamantinensis a year ago, I have found it comes out mostly during the day and the I.hirsutum definitely likes the sun on it, when it hits part of its container for a few minutes each day it will move to bask.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My frustrating moment? I have a beautiful MM Lp sitting next to my big female, and she won't give him the time of day, and even acts pissy with me now. Princess Slappy, I call her.:mad: And as for burrowers...I havent seen either of my OBTs in a few months. I saw my lividum last night, her legs anyway. I have a gorgeous marshalli that DOES NOT EVER COME OUT.:mad: I won't ever buy another obligate burrower. I don't care if it's rainbow colored and shoots laser webs.:mad:

timc

3 Year Member
My frustrating moment? I have a beautiful MM Lp sitting next to my big female, and she won't give him the time of day, and even acts pissy with me now. Princess Slappy, I call her.:mad: And as for burrowers...I havent seen either of my OBTs in a few months. I saw my lividum last night, her legs anyway. I have a gorgeous marshalli that DOES NOT EVER COME OUT.:mad: I won't ever buy another obligate burrower. I don't care if it's rainbow colored and shoots laser webs.:mad:
Lol come on now, laser webs wouldn't instantly persuade you? I'd buy the whole sack if I knew they could do that! Odds are I'd get to see one shoot lasers at least one time.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol come on now, laser webs wouldn't instantly persuade you? I'd buy the whole sack if I knew they could do that! Odds are I'd get to see one shoot lasers at least one time.
Lol, yeah, maybe once..right at your face, then it would dart back in it's hole, never to be seen again. You'd just see a bright flash at the mouth of it's burrow occasionally..but you wouldn't see it, because you'd have laser blindness..

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs I always believed most Ts were nocturnal but since getting my O. diamantinensis a year ago, I have found it comes out mostly during the day and the I.hirsutum definitely likes the sun on it, when it hits part of its container for a few minutes each day it will move to bask.
Ephebopus species in particular are very nocturnal. I have never had one that was out and about during day light hours. My E.murinus is literally only out after sunset pretty much up until sunrise and then goes back into hiding.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Chubbs Now you know what to get. I first noticed it with the O. diamantinensis when it was quite small. My tiny T's containers are all kept in an ExoTerra viv which has a low energy bulb in a canopy over the top (it's pretty dark in the room) and I'd find the little T down in amongst its web until I switched the light on in the morning when it would appear and spend the day in the light right on top disappearing down below at lights out. It's been with me 13 months now and still follows the same routine.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Chubbs Now you know what to get. I first noticed it with the O. diamantinensis when it was quite small. My tiny T's containers are all kept in an ExoTerra viv which has a low energy bulb in a canopy over the top (it's pretty dark in the room) and I'd find the little T down in amongst its web until I switched the light on in the morning when it would appear and spend the day in the light right on top disappearing down below at lights out. It's been with me 13 months now and still follows the same routine.
I don't mind species that hide a lot though. Never have.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since "refurnishing" my T. Gigas' tub with a mini hollow tree trunk, I've hardly seen her, bar the odd leg sticking out and the molt being pushed out lol. She seems very happy inside her hole so obviously I let her be, but I'm really hoping that once she gets hungry or thirsty she'll venture out a bit more again (not seen her new colours and size since her molt) :(. Oh, well, I've got my other 7 (the G. Actaeon is just a lazy sod sitting under its log all the time and only moves to grab its food when it wanders by lol) to admire still :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Since "refurnishing" my T. Gigas' tub with a mini hollow tree trunk, I've hardly seen her, bar the odd leg sticking out and the molt being pushed out lol. She seems very happy inside her hole so obviously I let her be, but I'm really hoping that once she gets hungry or thirsty she'll venture out a bit more again (not seen her new colours and size since her molt) :(. Oh, well, I've got my other 7 (the G. Actaeon is just a lazy sod sitting under its log all the time and only moves to grab its food when it wanders by lol) to admire still :)

I'm lucky that I put a half tube of cork bark in my T. gigas container so it's webbed behind it and I can see it through the back of the container.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to have a piece of cork bark, but the water dish had soaked through the whole container and the bark didn't look to good (looked rotted). None of the shops around here seem to sell cork, so I settled for smooth drift wood tank decoration for her. She's happy and comfortable, so I'm glad for her.
She'll come out when it suits her. Maybe I just need to set my alarm for the early morning hours lol.

Latest posts