• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Climbing and lighting

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
I had two questions about my G. rosea's enclosure. The first is that she seems to be very fond of climbing about. However, she can't scale the side of the enclosure. She always has to keep a leg or two on the ground to remain perched. Would it be a good idea to get her a piece of driftwood or something of the like that she can climb? I wasn't expecting her to enjoy climbing or being out and about. I thought that she'd want to hide and burrow, but that isn't her personality. I want to be sure that she's happy and can go where she likes in her home.

The other question was lighting. She's awake for a lot of the day. When I go to bed, I usually find her in the exact same spot in the morning. It makes me wonder if she's confused about when it's night or day. I have her tank in my apartment, which is in the basement of a home. There are no windows in our main room, so any light has to come from the lamps. I keep the lights out for about eight hours on average, but the rest of the time they're on. Do I need to have a more regular lighting schedule for her or does it not matter? I read somewhere that they needed a 12/12 hour light/dark schedule. If this is the case, what can I do about lighting or not lighting her tank without disrupting everything else and raising the temp?

Thanks!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You don't want her climbing. They're not arboreal, and a fall could easily kill them. She's likely just not comfortable yet. Sometimes it takes a while. She'll get there. As far as lighting. The less light the better. I keep my T room dark aside from feeding and maitenence.