• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Climber

Dyron.s

Hey Guys, my B. Bohmei is doing quite Well in my opinion, she recently molted and finally ate some food. Although she is a terrestrial species she loves to climb the glass, my lid is Made of some kind of metal and i heard that they van het stuck. Should i be worried?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Naw. There is some concern that their metatarsals can get stuck, but arborials have the same "foot" structure and live in wire topped cages all the time. I would, however, keep plenty of substrate under your baby and remove any hard items from the enclosure. Terrestrial climbers fall from time to time. Best not to worry about ruptured tummies.

Dyron.s

Naw. There is some concern that their metatarsals can get stuck, but arborials have the same "foot" structure and live in wire topped cages all the time. I would, however, keep plenty of substrate under your baby and remove any hard items from the enclosure. Terrestrial climbers fall from time to time. Best not to worry about ruptured tummies.
Naw. There is some concern that their metatarsals can get stuck, but arborials have the same "foot" structure and live in wire topped cages all the time. I would, however, keep plenty of substrate under your baby and remove any hard items from the enclosure. Terrestrial climbers fall from time to time. Best not to worry about ruptured tummiest
Thats good to hear, the “flower” and “rock” are Made of plastic. So i don’t know if they should be removed, especially because she uses the flower and rock to hide

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I worry about this too with my giant white knee juvenile; she has a similar amount of space to climb as yours. I didn't really want to go moving her set-up around to get more substrate in, so I have just added more moss for some extra padding, especially on the hard bits.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
What about installing a whole bunch of tiny trampolines inside the enclosure or one larger one that covers most of the tank? That way the T could bounce back from a fall. And as a bonus, it would have plenty of hide space. Win, Win. I may try to patent this tarantula trampoline idea.

Dyron.s

What about installing a whole bunch of tiny trampolines inside the enclosure or one larger one that covers most of the tank? That way the T could bounce back from a fall. And as a bonus, it would have plenty of hide space. Win, Win. I may try to patent this tarantula trampoline idea.
Genius

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
You are not the first person to describe my ideas as genius....

Well, actually you are. Thanks!
I will be adding that to my resume.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Jumping spiders copyrighted and burried it like the ark of the covenant
download.gif

MBullock

3 Year Member
Wire mesh lids are terrible for terrestrials, they often bend or break fangs trying to break through. This is why most people keep terrestrials in acrylic enclosures that have cross ventilation holes drilled in- as this stops the tarantula from harming itself

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wire mesh lids are terrible for terrestrials, they often bend or break fangs trying to break through. This is why most people keep terrestrials in acrylic enclosures that have cross ventilation holes drilled in- as this stops the tarantula from harming itself
Wouldn't that also be true for arborials that have the same fang structure and the same metatarsal structure as terrestrials?
No one has satisfactorily explained to me why wire mesh tops are good for Pokies but not for Brachys---excepting the terrestrial fall risk.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Wouldn't that also be true for arborials that have the same fang structure and the same metatarsal structure as terrestrials?
No one has satisfactorily explained to me why wire mesh tops are good for Pokies but not for Brachys---excepting the terrestrial fall risk.
Nope. arboreals dont have the same prying and bulldozing behavior that terrestrials have, they're more like enormous ctenidae in behavior and prefer to just squeeze into a crevice, generally under loose bark, or knot-holes in trees, etc. they DO risk getting claws stuck in really fine mesh screens, though

MBullock

3 Year Member
also, they have different cheliceral structure- aphonopelma, for example, have really huge powerful chelicerae, but a pokie's jaws are more for catching prey- more gracile and elongate

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had many Poecilotheria tear through mesh screens on exoterra's in the past. Even had a Avicularia once tear its way to freedom. The round vents that people use in acrylic are especially weak, its better to drill holes. Once one figures they can get out they are relentless until they are free. Most of my large 8-10" pokies are in glass and acrylic enclosures now and the others i keep a eye on. If one starts ripping g at the mesh i switch it out immediately. Many of them however don't even try to escape. Ive never seen a arboreal get its tarsal claws stuck yet, only terrestrials.

20180325_094045.jpg
1621206116613946924706643284427.jpg

20190120_084639.jpg

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had many Poecilotheria tear through mesh screens on exoterra's in the past. Even had a Avicularia once tear its way to freedom. The round vents that people use in acrylic are especially weak, its better to drill holes. Once one figures they can get out they are relentless until they are free. Most of my large 8-10" pokies are in glass and acrylic enclosures now and the others i keep a eye on. If one starts ripping g at the mesh i switch it out immediately. Many of them however don't even try to escape. Ive never seen a arboreal get its tarsal claws stuck yet, only terrestrials.

View attachment 57150View attachment 57151
View attachment 57153
Thanks Clownie. I still don't understand the tarsal differences, but I can't argue the empiric wisdom of 30 years of experience.

MBullock

3 Year Member

View attachment 57150View attachment 57151
View attachment 57153
I was wrong. Thank you for the correction.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Clownie. I still don't understand the tarsal differences, but I can't argue the empiric wisdom of 30 years of experience.
There's no difference really i believe, I may be wrong. Weight and agility probably play more of a role I think. A heavy hamorii stuck upside-down eventually gives into gravity and ends up hanging. The arboreal is longer and lighter and more use to climbing upside down, it can work its way free. Just my thoughts...nothing but my observations.