• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Clay Burrows

Katus

3 Year Member
Howdy all,

Being new here I wanted a little feedback.

I saw online small artificial burrows with a flat side so that you can place them next to the edge of the tank and still see your animal:

http://www.amazon.com/Habi-Scape-re...-fkmr0&keywords=habi-scape+small+burrow+earth

Being a cheap person and a bit of a DIY type guy I went and found natural chemical free clay and made my own.

This first one is for a coworker who has a 7 inch Salomon Pink Bird Eater

I am making him several more and I need to make a few more for all my tarantulas.

My girls who already have their burrows seem to love them:

As a rule we keep our bedroom dark and we have blackout curtains up. Most of the light in the room comes from our two PCs and their monitors, a small desk lamp on my desk and red rope lights I wound around the "Shelves of 56 Eyes" (More coming soon).

My question is then: Will I need to make little blackout curtains for my Ts or is what I have good enough? I really like to be able to see my girls even when they are "Chillaxin" (as my Daughters say) in their burrows.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
They are light sensitive,but from your stated light sources I wouldn't stress it. Unless you have a lamp shining directly onto them,or placed in such a way the PC screen reflects onto the T. As for your hides,I love them well done looking good and as time goes by you will even better on these.

Katus

3 Year Member
Pretty cool. I would tape a pice of cardboard on the outside the tank covering the exposed hide. This way the T feels more secure and you can check on it in the borrow and then cover it up again.
I ordered a small roll of black vinyl static cling that sticks to glass and look nicer. When it comes in I will post up some pics.

Great idea! You could really go crazy with this.
I have been told that I am just flat crazy to begin with so sitting down with some clay while watching TV isn't much of a stretch. I tend to get a bit carried away when I start a project. My wife told me that she wanted a new chicken coop and she showed me a picture of one that they sell at ACE Hardware for $350 USD. So I went and built her a coop next to one of my cargo cans and it ended up being 8ft wide, 40ft long and 8ft tall.

Start

1/4 complete

Nearly there

Finished

Turkeys!!

I am really big into making comfortable and sturdily built enclosures. :)

Latest posts