• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chirp chirp chirp

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just complaining,
By now, most know I don't care for crickets, I buy them for my T's who wont eat anything else but, at about a dozen at a time. Small kritter keeper, clean every other day, no stress no bother right....Except my G.porteri who normally eats two or three crickets at a feeding is in premolt now, so shes off her food, and they molted....now they are full adults....*chirp chirp chirp chirp* all day all night.....Did I mention I really don't care for crickets....

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We're lucky in the UK we can buy silent crickets :p
funny thing is, :rolleyes: I don't mind listening to them outside in the evening,
its sort of a peaceful sound then, but 24/7 in my room is a whole different thing.
Totally unfair that you get silent ones :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
funny thing is, :rolleyes: I don't mind listening to them outside in the evening,
its sort of a peaceful sound then, but 24/7 in my room is a whole different thing.
Totally unfair that you get silent ones :(

I agree that they sound peaceful in the open yet can be annoying in the house. The silent ones are great although you do occasionally get an odd noisy one in a pack.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed. One of my favorite ways to sleep is out camping listening to the wilderness and the crickets chirp. In the house they drive me nuts, i take special pleasure finding the chirpers and feeding them to a hungry T :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's odd isnt it, how we can enjoy it in one environment but hate it in another...Love to drift off to them if camping,
in my bedroom, I want to vacuum them all up out of their enclosure and put the vacuum outside.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's odd isnt it, how we can enjoy it in one environment but hate it in another...Love to drift off to them if camping,
in my bedroom, I want to vacuum them all up out of their enclosure and put the vacuum outside.
Lol! The chirping is actually the only thing I miss about them. It helped me fall asleep.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Just complaining,
By now, most know I don't care for crickets, I buy them for my T's who wont eat anything else but, at about a dozen at a time. Small kritter keeper, clean every other day, no stress no bother right....Except my G.porteri who normally eats two or three crickets at a feeding is in premolt now, so shes off her food, and they molted....now they are full adults....*chirp chirp chirp chirp* all day all night.....Did I mention I really don't care for crickets....
Hahaha. Last time I had adult crickets, they chirped all night n kept me up. I dumped all of them (6) In my stirmi enclosure, and by morning no crickets, no noise....ahhhhh
Til next time

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just complaining,

Try banded crickets. They're a lot quieter. Not to mention less smelly, and they're tougher and last longer. I still have quite a few left from the batch I ordered nearly 3 weeks ago, and I only ordered 60 to begin with.

http://cricket-breeding.com/banded-crickets-gryllodes-sigillatus-come-to-the-u-s/

Adraps11

3 Year Member
I hate them.try having 18 of them get loose in your small prison cell-like room. I'm comfortable handling locusts and katydids, because you can get a good grip on em without possibly killing them in the process. I do like finding the chirpers and feeding them to my T. Our cat always helps us out with finding them. lol He's like a bug homing missile.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I had crickets my whole life so the chirping became unnoticeable after years of having them. Friends would come stay the night and complain about them all the time lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Funny thing is @swimbait I love to hear them outside, but the acoustics in this new house are killer in the master bedroom, and not in a good way, literally sounds like I have a thousand in full out attract a mate mode. I cure it by keeping my headphones on when I'm in there.

swimbait

3 Year Member
LOL don't you only have a dozen!?! I used to go through a 500 crickets a week, there was never a quite moment. The only time I would really ever notice it was when I'd wake up in the middle of the night, sound was intense. So glad dubia don't make noise, if they did I wouldn't have them

Adraps11

3 Year Member
My T seems to only enjoy the catching and killing of crickets. She'll ignore mealworms, superworms, and small dubia roaches, but man when I throw in a few crickets, the beautiful gun metal/black machine comes to life! As long as the crickets come in 4 per week, I can handle them. Since I purchased my reptile tongs back in december, handling most of the jumpy feeders has become much easier. I got 4 adult gut loaded crickets for 50 cents! My Black Aphonopelma female is happily dancing. I can see adding one more member to the family in time. :) Whoops! my bad they only cost 5 cents a cricket, which is a pretty good deal.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You just reminded me the other reason I despise crickets, way too expensive.
Yep when you compare them to the others. Here at the LPS they're a dozen for a buck and overcount is free. and if you're sweet to the cute girl that runs the counter you usually get a few extra even thrown in for free. I came out with 18 one time lol.

Latest posts