• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chilobrachys sp. Vietnam Blue & Lasiodora Parahybana enclosure project

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Hello !

As I ordered 2 females , Chilobrachys sp. Vietnam Blue (5cm) & Lasiodora Parahybana (6,5cm), I pre-made their enclosure to make sure they'll be fine in it.

The first one, Chilobrachys sp. Vietnam blue, 5cm legspan, ♀

I made this enclosure in a glass tank, with only top ventilation. I added moss to make it looks more natural, a big water dish (I'll add few rocks in it to make sure she dont drown) to keep the enclosure moist, a branch to help the webbing. Now I am not really sure, so here are some photos, is this enclosure just fine ? Too big ? Substrate not deep enought ?

20171027_185944.jpg
20171027_185938.jpg

20171027_185956.jpg

And finally, Lasiodora Parahybana, 6,5 cm legspan, ♀

Thats a simple exo terra plastic tank, top ventilated. I guess that's the standart terrestrial enclosure, so here it is :)
20171027_190114.jpg
20171027_190143.jpg
20171027_190156.jpg

Thanks, awaiting for your opinion :D

Attachments

• 20171027_185556.jpg
    20171027_185556.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20171027_185938.jpg
    20171027_185938.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
Oh yea of course.. But lve changed the chilobrachys enclosure as it was a bit too big, so I just placed a bottle cap with nothing in it :).

And by the way, my chilobrachys already digged a hole and webbed up the entry to close it (cant even see whats behind the Web), is that normal ?

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
Oh yea of course.. But lve changed the chilobrachys enclosure as it was a bit too big, so I just placed a bottle cap with nothing in it :).

And by the way, my chilobrachys already digged a hole and webbed up the entry to close it (cant even see whats behind the Web), is that normal ?

My female C. sp. Vietnam blue has some webbing on her hole but I don't think it's "webbed up" more like tripwires to let her know when prey is trying to get in or passing by.

Not the best picture to show it, I'll try to get some later.

tumblr_oyto68BH7k1tiveumo2_1280.jpg

It's also possible that your specimen arrived in pre-molt and won't open it up until she's molted and ready to eat. It happens. I recently had two spiderlings molt in transit.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
It appears that she oppened an other entry by digging out, I think that the starter hole was maybe too big and it made her felt kinda incomfortable. This morning, I dropped a roach around the hole she made, she went out to catch it and a second after, she were just gone :D. It seems everything is alright.
She molted few days before the shipping as the owner of spidersworld told me.

Oh by the way, As I dont wanna open an other discussion, I just wanted to get a bit of help as I am curious about my GBB behavior, since this morning, she havent stopped to walk around, touching the lid of the enclosure (a bit like if she wanted to mesure the space), I am looking at her every 30 minuts as I am a bit bored today, and she keep doing it (between the top of the enclosure and the place she webbed, there must be like 2cm height), so I am just started to think that she's just trying to find a proper place to molt, as she didn't ate since 2 weeks.

Sorry, many of these questions may seems really dumb to you, but I just want some regular owner advices.

Thanks for the help :)

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
Well if you've gotta ask about whether your C. cyaneopubescens is getting ready to molt, you probably shouldn't have acquired an old world tarantula. No offense, but asking that means you might not be very experienced, and OWs need an experienced keeper because they're all advanced species. Chilobrachys isn't even a great beginner OW genus.

Perhaps your C. cyaneopubescens is looking for a place to molt, or maybe she's just exploring. These tarantulas are on the active side, after all. When is the last time you tried to feed her? She might finally be hungry and is hunting. It's impossible to say why a tarantula walks around, there's plenty of reasons.

Did your Chilobrachys sp. "Vietnam Blue" give you any issues on unpacking? Remember that with size, her attitude will change. My female, upon unpacking into her new enclosure, walked out of the cup then whipped around, struck with no warning at it and then threw it a threat posture.

Slapmygoat

3 Year Member
I am trying to feed her every week, still nothing, this is just about these strange mouvements. She chose the place by herself, on the top of the enclosure with not so many height to move.

And about the chilobrachys, that is a specie that I always wanted to have, especially about this unpredictable behavior.. :) About the unpacking everything went fine, I took all the precautions, no threat posture, no bolt out, she just left the cup and started to explore the enclosure. I've watch and read several articles about OW species and this one in particular, so I was warned about the issues, I knew that's an "angry" and fast specie so I took this in consideration, covered the top of the enclosure while unpacking her and slowly moved her with a brush.

This might be a bad idea and a bad first OW specie, but I am pretty sure that I will also lear many things by experiencing with this specie. So I just got to be used to make a proper rehouse the time she'll need it.

Thanks again for the advices :)

Latest posts