• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chilobrachys huahini Concerns

Hagraven

Hi all,

I recently brought home an Asia Fawn tarantula, who I named Lolth. I do not know the sex of the tarantula but they are about 5 to 6 inches in size. The petstore that sold me the tarantula claimed to have them only a week or so before I came along. Unfortunately they for whatever reason had not given Lolth a water dish and when I got them home I noticed that their abdomen was slightly shriveled (when I had their water dish full the poor thing practically ran to it). Now, only days later the abdomen is starting to look fuller and healthier looking.

Since I brought them home I've seen a stressed, legs up posture (see picture). And day by day I notice more and more webbing going up.

I had assumed that having been relocated from wherever they had been before arriving at the petstore, and then again to my home in such a short time period (2 moves in 2-3weeks) might be the reason for their seemingly stressed and generally unhappy posture. Also- I had earlier replaced a hide in their enclosure (not smart I know), and they were very quick to let me know how irritated that made them.

However, they are now refusing food (but earlier ate two large crickets) and with webbing sort of barricading themselves in their chosen corner. Just today however I watched them leave this spot to drink, and when they returned, they put down webs as if to "close the door behind them." Also, they seem kinda "shabby," as I heard it said about some premolting tarantulas (you can see in one of the photos that there are some dark spots all over their cephalothorax).
I have to consider that this could be pre-molting behavior?

After all this I have left them alone and am trying my best to be as quiet and gentle around the enclosure as possible. Again, new webbing every morning (so pretty!), stressed, legs- posture (see picture), refusing food.

So, my questions to you kind people:

1. I am thinking of removing the crickets Lolth has no interest in, wanting to avoid any accidents if they are indeed going to molt- but I am worried my attempts to remove said crickets will cause Lolth additional, unnecessary stress? Think I should wait a few more days and see what goes on?

2. Given the stress of moving so much/not eating/but also knowing that the species webs extensively, what are your thoughts on their posture and the webs, sealing them up? Molting behavior, as well as stress? Something else?

I want only for this amazing critter to be healthy and happy. I really appreciate your advice. Thanks friends

Attachments

• 20220802_173809.jpg
    20220802_173809.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220802_173511.jpg
    20220802_173511.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 20220801_215155.jpg
    20220801_215155.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 31

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The legs up posture is it telling you "please leave me alone".
It also takes Ts a while to settle into a new home but the fact that it is webbing is all good.
Just keep the water topped up and I'm sure it will eat when its ready.

Hagraven

Can you please post more pics of the enclosures.
20220802_194559.jpg
20220802_194656.jpg
I have a big hide that reaches up, and seems like a good webbing anchor. I am thinking a larger enclosure might be in order however, along with another web anchor or 2, especially if they molt soon. I've been keeping the room dark and quiet. Thanks for your time

This is one I can actually comment about with my limited experience with a nice female.
That behavior is typical. Especially being just rehoused. I actually went with horn worms after she settled in mine will eat crickets,but she's big and needs a bigger meal. Won't touch a dubia for nothing.
Treat with respect,as just like many others they need some space or your going to encounter problems doing maintenance and things. Give her time to settle in is my best advice. They will lay in one corner and web it a little and stomp it down over and over again even with a hide and plenty of substrate,until settled in.

Hagraven

This is one I can actually comment about with my limited experience with a nice female.
That behavior is typical. Especially being just rehoused. I actually went with horn worms after she settled in mine will eat crickets,but she's big and needs a bigger meal. Won't touch a dubia for nothing.
Treat with respect,as just like many others they need some space or your going to encounter problems doing maintenance and things. Give her time to settle in is my best advice. They will lay in one corner and web it a little and stomp it down over and over again even with a hide and plenty of substrate,until settled in.
Really appreciate it! I know the time left alone to do their thing is good, I can be such a worrier When they're more comfortable I'll try for larger foods.

rapidfire

I keep many Chilobrachys species including huahini. The substrate needs to be deep and moist. This species is fossorial and will burrow and tunnel. I use Biodude terra aranea (even if its not a bioactive I still use this substrate). It retains moisture and does not mold. This substrate holds tunnels very well.
Chilobrachys can be bery defensive so the throwing up front legs doesn’t surprise me.
Not sure what kind of wood that is but you may want to look into that.
I would offer food and if she doesn't eat remove it.

After rehousing it may take a few days to a week or so for the tarantula to start to burrow.

Hope this helps!

Hagraven

I keep many Chilobrachys species including huahini. The substrate needs to be deep and moist. This species is fossorial and will burrow and tunnel. I use Biodude terra aranea (even if its not a bioactive I still use this substrate). It retains moisture and does not mold. This substrate holds tunnels very well.
Chilobrachys can be bery defensive so the throwing up front legs doesn’t surprise me.
Not sure what kind of wood that is but you may want to look into that.
I would offer food and if she doesn't eat remove it.

After rehousing it may take a few days to a week or so for the tarantula to start to burrow.

Hope this helps!
It definitely does, thank you!

Hagraven

Update,

Thank you all for your advice. It's been a week and a couple days after rehousing now but this beauty is still not at ease. They've webbed more and more but have not begun to burrow, and remain in their chosen corner, legs up. I know I am DEFINITELY worrying too much but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious that would help them ease in?
I am keeping their water dish clean and full, and a good portion of the substrate is now moist.

Any advice is much appreciated (even if it is simply to chill and wait! lol)

Phototoxin

I'm not an expert on this (or any!) species, but the above advice of leave her alone, keep water available and remove food if not interested. They can go for ages without food and if they get stressed (or grumpy) they tend to do the 'cover my face/leave me alone' type posture.

If she rears up on her back legs and makes a threat posture that is another level of escalation but hopefully that won't happen too much!!

Hagraven

I really appreciate it. My (im)patience has yielded a bit of exploring from Lolth, and her posturing seems less "tense," with their legs not as tightly pulled against themselves. I'm worrying less and less : )

Okay I've had now after eight months of working with them and for chilobrachys they six in total, completely different from any other like for example the chilobrachys fumosus. Zero attempt to burrow only webs up in a corner. Btw op Asian ow. Moist deep substrate is key and these guys do drink a bit.
The depth of substrate part.
I've nerded out with what little information is out there
I'm actually going to set up an enclosure that gives it the option to dig or climb up and go behind a half round cork bark. Semi aborial or terrestrial. I feel like if I can ever crack what it takes to get them to make home and be consistent it won't be such a battle with trying to do needed maintenance. Like when some decided to poop in their water dish. Once they are out and about it's pretty much time to close lid and walk away.

Hagraven

I appreciate your experience! After her molt I eventually rehoused her and she's been doing really well since. The first few days saw her web up a particular spot, kinda camp there, and several days later she did the same elsewhere. Day by day I can see more webbing. And she now will eat without issue : )
All the best!

Latest posts