• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Checking in to do research before getting a new pet

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My 9 yo daughter wants a tarantula, I'm not sure why. I've kept reptiles in the past so its no big deal to me, but I want to do some research before diving in.

We currently keep fish and aquatic invertebrates like snails, shrimp and crayfish, in planted tanks (live plants) so my initial thoughts for a proper tank for a tarantula is more of a vivarium type setup, preferably with a section with water to keep some fish in - possibly split a 10G tank with 4-5" of substrate into half water half soil? As long as it's the proper habitat for the species.

The other thought is a desert tarantula with dryer bedding and perhaps some succulents in the tank for decoration.

I'd love to get some thoughts and ideas to help us determine which species of tarantula to get so we can properly plan and setup the proper housing. Simplicity is good, but pretty is better.

Thanks in advance!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 9 yo daughter wants a tarantula, I'm not sure why. I've kept reptiles in the past so its no big deal to me, but I want to do some research before diving in.

We currently keep fish and aquatic invertebrates like snails, shrimp and crayfish, in planted tanks (live plants) so my initial thoughts for a proper tank for a tarantula is more of a vivarium type setup, preferably with a section with water to keep some fish in - possibly split a 10G tank with 4-5" of substrate into half water half soil? As long as it's the proper habitat for the species.

The other thought is a desert tarantula with dryer bedding and perhaps some succulents in the tank for decoration.

I'd love to get some thoughts and ideas to help us determine which species of tarantula to get so we can properly plan and setup the proper housing. Simplicity is good, but pretty is better.

Thanks in advance!
Aphonopelma chalcodes, Brachypelma smithi, Brachypelma albopilosum, Brachypelma boehmei, Brachypelma vagans, Grammastola pulchripes, Euthalus sp. red or Euthalus sp. yellow. We use scientific names around here as it tends to make identifying species easier. Make sure she understands that these are not good animals for handling. Not only does it stress them out and they can be seriously injured from even a short fall, but all tarantulas have fangs and venom and are capable of biting. Personality depends on the individual. You may end up with an individual that is not so friendly, even if the species it belongs to has a reputation for being docile. Stay away from any Old World species.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Of the ones Chubbs has listed I have :-
B. smithi, spends most of its time in full view
B. albopilosum, put it in a clear container and watch it dig, a fascinating T
E. sp red, another that spends time on the surface and always seems to be on the go.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the responses, gentlemen

I am leaning towards a B. albopilosum (Curly Hair) 1/2-3/4", along with a spiderling enclosure, from jamiestarantulas.com

I have ordered the The Tarantula Keeper's Guide from Amazon.com and will read and research more

I appreciate any and all information experienced keepers are willing to share so my daughter and I can be as successful as possible

And no, we will not have any expectation of handling our spider

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the encouragement.
I went to a local petstore at lunch today and viewed a few spiderlings, none with proper, scientific names posted. Prices ranged from $8 for a dime sized critter to $20 for a nickle sized fellow. They had a larger pink haired one for $29, again not sure of the exact name.

Not sure if I should be buying local from the guys that don't seem to know exactly what they have or order online... pros and cons to each I'm sure.

Regardless, I am waiting till our T Keeper's Guide arrives and I've read through the salient and pertinent points to beginning a husbandry project/relationship with a new friend.

PamCz

3 Year Member
Welcome! Once you've read the T Keeper's Guide, you'll be good to go! I also recommend a smithi, an albopilosum, an euathlus sp. red, or even a pink zebra beauty (eupalaestrus campestratus) -- all great starter T's. If you go for the "pink" one...make sure it's not a salmon pink bird eater (lasiodora parahybana). Not a good first T, IMO. ;)

PamCz

3 Year Member

Thanks in advance!
By the way....the vivarium you are describing would be perfect for a Hysterocrates gigas. This T actually swims, submerges for extended periods of time, and will hunt fish. But, not anywhere NEAR a good starter T.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
By the way....the vivarium you are describing would be perfect for a Hysterocrates gigas. This T actually swims, submerges for extended periods of time, and will hunt fish. But, not anywhere NEAR a good starter T.

I've deviated greatly from my original thoughts here and have opted for a standard, contemporary habitat to house a B. albopilosum spiderling to arrive this week. IF we ever graduate to multiple Ts, I may consider housing a species as ambitious as that!

Therasoid

3 Year Member
My advice would be to buy online and then you know exactly what you're getting.
+1 agree with Enn49 on this one. Many reputable breeders online to buy from, check out the "for sale" section on the forum.
I would like to add another species often overlooked, Cyriocosmus ritae, a dwarf species. IMO the best looking in the genus. Docile, out in the open, easy to care for, great & aggressively attack their prey and did I mention gorgeous? [emoji7]

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
+1 agree with Enn49 on this one. Many reputable breeders online to buy from, check out the "for sale" section on the forum.
I would like to add another species often overlooked, Cyriocosmus ritae, a dwarf species. IMO the best looking in the genus. Docile, out in the open, easy to care for, great & aggressively attack their prey and did I mention gorgeous? [emoji7]

I have to agree about Cyriocosmus, ritae is one I don't have yet but I do have elegans, bertae and pentalore and they are all great little Ts

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So far I'm behaving: I've stopped at 8 (Ts not fish) due to space reasons. I still browse through the shops, but I think my husband has been very lenient with me after breaking my "these will definitely be the last" promise, when I bought no. 4, lol.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So far I'm behaving: I've stopped at 8 (Ts not fish) due to space reasons. I still browse through the shops, but I think my husband has been very lenient with me after breaking my "these will definitely be the last" promise, when I bought no. 4, lol.

Haha!
We all have our vices and exigencies.