• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chasing the Filled Water Dish

GreenKnight

Hello All,

I just got my G Pulchra Friday and by Saturday morning, the water dish was empty (it's a water bottle cap). A little bit of dirt, but definitely empty. For a species that like things dry, should I be refilling that water dish anytime it's empty? I don't know what it's doing with it (dumping it out or drinking etc.). My concern is that if I keep filling it, and it keeps dumping it out, then it's just going to keep get the substrate too wet. I'm thinking I just refill every 5 days or so, but would love any more recommendations.

Thank you!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry about where the water goes unless the substrate is soaking wet, keep it clean and filled

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I refill weekly & also moisten an area of substrate every few weeks. I did try to chase empty water dishes, but found the substrate became too wet & in top accessed arboreal encloses, easily became much too wet, as it is often not as easy to see, due to webbing & distance. I have also found that, even with desert species, Moss, is a reasonable addition. It can be misted regularly & even when wet, does not make the substrate wet.