• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Change in personality

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
So Habanero, the newer of my two tarantulas, a little 3 inch male brachyeplema smithi, seems to have not been like himself lately. Neither of my tarantulas are aggressive but even still he's is/was by far the more gentle of the two and behaved in much the highly praised manner typical of his species with good character and tolerance letting me touch him and pick him up and just being very pleasant when I was around or working in his enclosure. I know like all animals they are individuals with their own personalities but I always heard that once they get used to you they are pretty much set in their ways and stay like they are but he changed on a dime. He's always been a little bit skittish but now he is extremely skittish, darting into his cave if I so much as nudge his habitat and he's been a lot crankier, flicking hairs at me for the first time a few nights ago and believe me I know crankiness and hair flicking, my older tarantula, October, a 4 inch male brachypelma boehmei is still quite a hair flicker and less tolerant but used to be much more so, only mellowing out recently as I started to handle him more. As for Habanero he wasn't like this a week ago. I do think he's going to molt soon for the first time since I've had him because his abdomen is huge and he refused food when I offered him some. I know molting is a very stressful time for any tarantula and maybe he just feels more vulnerable and is being more defensive right now. I really hope he goes to normal once his molt is over.

Telson

3 Year Member
I've seen their attitudes change completely, from extremely calm to downright evil, and vice versa, for no apparent reason at all. Sometimes they go back to the way they were, sometimes not. I have no explanation as to why, or even any theories, really. How do you explain a 3 inch mildly skittish Ld turning into a psychotic freak that slaps the ground and litterally drools venom..? Shes perfectly healthy, plump, and will not settle down. Its been a year now. I love her though, good times.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
I've seen their attitudes change completely, from extremely calm to downright evil, and vice versa, for no apparent reason at all. Sometimes they go back to the way they were, sometimes not. I have no explanation as to why, or even any theories, really. How do you explain a 3 inch mildly skittish Ld turning into a psychotic freak that slaps the ground and litterally drools venom..? Shes perfectly healthy, plump, and will not settle down. Its been a year now. I love her though, good times.

Yeah always entertaining to say the least except when I have a guilt trip because I think I scared them. There's actually kind of a charm in crankiness when it comes to animals. Maybe to set him straight I should introduce him to the ultimate crankiest of my collection, my bearded dragon. That would be bogus of me. I swear she is a demon, and there supposed to be the nicest lol

Latest posts