• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ItsJustDan

I recently got a chaco golden knee sling in the mail. I did a bit of research about slings here and there specifically for the Gold Knee. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for the caring of a sling. My main concern is feeding, I bought 1/4 small crickets for it I just wonder if the crickets could harm the spiderling.
This is its enclosure
20200421_093857.jpg20200421_093942.jpg20200421_085537.jpg
It's one of those cups that pet stores have Betta Fish in. I drilled holes for ventilation of course. I put in half a plastic cup submerged in the substrate for a hide

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Congratulations on the new addition.If you are worried that the cricket is large fir the T you can squash its head before offering it.Spiderlings will often scavenge feed .
Can see on your pic if you did but you can make a starter burrow under the cup with a back of a paint brush or your tweezers to give it a safe place and a hint where to make its burrow

Regards Konstantin

ItsJustDan

Hi
Congratulations on the new addition.If you are worried that the cricket is large fir the T you can squash its head before offering it.Spiderlings will often scavenge feed .
Can see on your pic if you did but you can make a starter burrow under the cup with a back of a paint brush or your tweezers to give it a safe place and a hint where to make its burrow

Regards Konstantin
Thank you so much! I really excited to watch it grow. I've also made a starter burrow. :D

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I recently got a chaco golden knee sling in the mail. I did a bit of research about slings here and there specifically for the Gold Knee. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for the caring of a sling. My main concern is feeding, I bought 1/4 small crickets for it I just wonder if the crickets could harm the spiderling.
This is its enclosure
View attachment 45159View attachment 45160View attachment 45158
It's one of those cups that pet stores have Betta Fish in. I drilled holes for ventilation of course. I put in half a plastic cup submerged in the substrate for a hide
Hi
Your set up looks good.. But can I ask is that gravel you have in there? Personally I would take that out as its not going to add anything beneficial for the T... I would be worried if it started burrowing under those small stones it may cause injury so better safe than sorry and not take the risk :) otherwise really nice home there for your little one :)
Prekilled crickets are always great for slings if you are worried about them being to large for it to take down itself - hope that helps

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good start. I would not so much worry about the crickets If they are smaller than your spider. She will catch it if she is hungry. If you don’t have a water dish in your enclosure, I would put one in. They need water all the time. ;)

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just prekill anything you feed it for now. In the wild mom has been know to bring back kill for slings. They are great at scavenging. Depending on how big the prey item is it may not look like they ate but trust me....they probably sucked on it for a while.
What a beautiful picture!

ItsJustDan

Good start. I would not so much worry about the crickets If they are smaller than your spider. She will catch it if she is hungry. If you don’t have a water dish in your enclosure, I would put one in. They need water all the time. ;)
I used a water bottle cap as a dish! :D

ItsJustDan

Just prekill anything you feed it for now. In the wild mom has been know to bring back kill for slings. They are great at scavenging. Depending on how big the prey item is it may not look like they ate but trust me....they probably sucked on it for a while.View attachment 45179
I cant wait to see mine grow! I pre-killed a smaller cricket and left it in front of its hide, hopefully, it'll take it.

ItsJustDan

Hi
Your set up looks good.. But can I ask is that gravel you have in there? Personally I would take that out as its not going to add anything beneficial for the T... I would be worried if it started burrowing under those small stones it may cause injury so better safe than sorry and not take the risk :) otherwise really nice home there for your little one :)
Prekilled crickets are always great for slings if you are worried about them being to large for it to take down itself - hope that helps
I was just recently thinking the same thing, I'll remove them just to be safe. Thanks. :D

Latest posts