• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chaco golden knee preparing to molt against the side of container

Alexander White

3 Year Member
is it okay for them to do that? this is my first tarantula and this is the first molt while with me and im anxious and im not sure if it will be okay if he molts against the side of the container! should i move him or leave him? im gonna leave him unless someone tells me otherwise! help asap if you could please. how long does it usually take for a chaco to molt http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?app=gallery&image=5465?

Deemar

3 Year Member
It's fine, I've had one molt in a vertical web hammock. These things have been molting for thousands of years, if it doesn't like the situation it'll move. Nothing to worry about.

Alexander White

3 Year Member
He/she is fine indeed. Molting now. while that IS true, of course not every tarantula has molted correctly over the years. and they cant move if theyre already in the process of molting. either way i get what your saying; that i dont have to be so worried. thanks for the response

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
It's always safer to assume they know what they're doing than to try to interfere. Molts are always a happy/nerve wracking time for a T owner. Give it 5-7 days before offering food after the molt. Congrats on your first molt!

Alexander White

3 Year Member
It's always safer to assume they know what they're doing than to try to interfere. Molts are always a happy/nerve wracking time for a T owner. Give it 5-7 days before offering food after the molt. Congrats on your first molt!

Yeah I decided not to try moving him/her and just him do his thing. He ended up molting successfully. Hardening up now. The molting situation for a tarantula is much like the molting situation for a mantid, only, tarantulas are apparently not as susceptible to mismolting. Like if a mantid is to molt in an area too close to other objects, there is the risk of a mismolt, but Swix molted perfectly even when against the side of the container.

I got tons of photos of the process and also some footage. I'll post the photos and videos later on.

5-7 days, okay.

Thanks!

Alexander White

3 Year Member
Any kind of molting anywhere is okay as long as it could molt safely and freely.

I was wondering if against the container would be considered 'cramped' or not. It turned out to be fine. Tarantulas are more hardy than mantids it seems. At least this species, Grammostola pulchripes.

Latest posts