• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Chaco Golden knee acting strange. If this is normal, why bother?

Golgotha

In Jan of 2022 I purchased a small Chaco Golden knee that still had a recent molt in its case in March. It was acting "normal" and then went into its hide and sealed it up with webbing. It stayed there for a few weeks. I never saw it venture out. I made sure it had water and sure enough it was getting ready to molt. After molt June 21st it came out a little more, but still not what I would expect. Two weeks ago it sealed itself in its hide again. Do I just have a very anti-social specimen or are things going to get better?
67929494234__69ED33ED-45EE-4319-9681-32C269BC5015.JPG

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
As mine have gotten older, they have stayed out more. It could be that it just wants more privacy.

Golgotha

I hope so. From my attached pics are you able to tell if it is a female? That is what I am hoping for.

Attachments

• IMG_4622.jpg
    IMG_4622.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5187.jpg
    IMG_5187.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 7

Golgotha

Strange, I removed the web barrier from its cave and there WAS another Molt. What the heck? Do I just have a healthy growing Tarantula or what? June 21st molt and then August 4th another molt. Does the molt frequency relate to a Female vs Male?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Hmm, it may have been an older molt. I have to check, but i have had molts six weeks to two months apart. Last summer that happened to one of my Ts. Maybe two. For me I think it was the heat and I was feeding them more often and regularly with superworms, which are supposed to have higher fat content.

Last edited:

Latest posts