• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Centipedes

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always stayed away from this particular bug in the hobby. To be honest they used to creep me out like bees did as a kid, I have no idea why. So I started watching videos, and now I'm fascinated by them >.<...so I'm getting one or three. I'm reading up on their care right now. I have to say I've seen alot of videos of centipede deaths in collections. Any centipede enthusiasts want to share their favorite species, maybe tell us a bit about them? Are they fragile? Is there a nice big species that's tough and thrives in captivity? Any tips or comments are welcome.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Weird, never heard that these were fragile in captivity. They seem to be pretty hardy for the most part, of couse this varies from species to species. The number one thing you need to worry about is escapees, everyone always thinks they can't get out of their cage only to be proven wrong. A cage with a screw on lid is the best choice, such containers are usually airtight. They don't need a lot of space, lots of substrate to burrow into is appreciated.

I've never kept any centipede, but I've read Orin's "Centipedes in Captivity" front to back, so yeah. :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Weird, never heard that these were fragile in captivity. They seem to be pretty hardy for the most part, of couse this varies from species to species. The number one thing you need to worry about is escapees, everyone always thinks they can't get out of their cage only to be proven wrong. A cage with a screw on lid is the best choice, such containers are usually airtight. They don't need a lot of space, lots of substrate to burrow into is appreciated.

I've never kept any centipede, but I've read Orin's "Centipedes in Captivity" front to back, so yeah. :D
Nice. I ordered his book on Amblypygi but haven't gotten it yet. But thanks for the hint, I need the other one too ;)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Nice. I ordered his book on Amblypygi but haven't gotten it yet. But thanks for the hint, I need the other one too ;)

I actually asked the library to order it, they have ordered most of his books for me! :) And nobody else has really taken any of them out, so I have them pretty much all the time!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I actually asked the library to order it, they have ordered most of his books for me! :) And nobody else has really taken any of them out, so I have them pretty much all the time!
You know, that's a fine idea..im not sure why it hadn't occurred to me. I'll go down on my day off and talk to the ladies at my local library, I'm certain they'll do it. I can always buy the books from them that I want on hand, too, its a small town library;). Excellent idea.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's just one problem though. Last time I was in the library I had my girlfriend with me. When we're messing with each other I call her midget, because she's short :) Unfortunately there's a little person that works there, and I didn't see him behind the counter (lol) and he got really angry and started mad dogging me. Also unfortunately, I have a problem controlling my laughter when a situation strikes me as funny. Hopefully he doesn't work there anymore..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
You know, that's a fine idea..im not sure why it hadn't occurred to me. I'll go down on my day off and talk to the ladies at my local library, I'm certain they'll do it. I can always buy the books from them that I want on hand, too, its a small town library;). Excellent idea.

Yeah, our library has a form that you fill online to order books, CDs, DVDs, video games etc. I get them to order stuff all the time! :D I hope yours will buy the book for you!

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
There's just one problem though. Last time I was in the library I had my girlfriend with me. When we're messing with each other I call her midget, because she's short :) Unfortunately there's a little person that works there, and I didn't see him behind the counter (lol) and he got really angry and started mad dogging me. Also unfortunately, I have a problem controlling my laughter when a situation strikes me as funny. Hopefully he doesn't work there anymore..

Oh crap, hopefully he won't be there when you ask! Check your library's website, see if you can get them to order it from there!