• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Catching that slippery cricket for supper time

BossRoss

3 Year Member
So my curly hair, Bella, loves her crickets. However I have some trouble fishing out a cricket, I think is an appropriate size for her, without having a few crickets making a break for it. Then I might end up squishing the one I was going for(yes yes I know free entertainment for hours :p)
So...

What are your tips and tricks to get crickets from their container into the one of your beloved T?

jon ross

3 Year Member
Youll get the knack of it mate. I used to struggle for ages and in the end what i did was get one of those plastic critter keepers with the black vented lid with the small clear door in the tp and put them in there with a load of veg to fatten them up as they dont jump so much wen they are full up. Then its just a case of shoving your hand in and within seconds youve got a nice fatty in your hand :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Here's what I would do: Carefully pour a few crickets into another container just until you have dumped the one you want to use. Hopefully not too many others will have gotten in too. Anyway, shake the container just enough to sort of daze them, pick out the one you want and pour the others back in the original container. Obviously this isn't something you want to do repeatedly; you may end up wasting crickets should they get knocked around one too many times. Best advice would be to keep them separated by size.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
Thanks very much guys.

Considering the price and availability of crickets in South Africa I am not too concerned about losing a few... Getting my revenge back on those lil b*stards that escaped previously might do me so good too :-D

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
I keep mine in a critter keeper as well and fish them out with a small vial so that I only get one or two in at a time :)

BossRoss

3 Year Member
For those of you who are starting out and lack some of the equipment a more experienced keeper has you can put the crickets in the fridge for a few minutes, it slows them down enough for you to be able to pick them up with your fingers and by the time you are about to drop them in the en-closer the warmth from your fingers has got them ready to run(always exciting watching dinner time :D:) )

**Disclaimer :p every fridge and region is different, keep a close eye on how long it will take with your fridge.
**Freezers are not recommended by my experience/experiments. lol!

Latest posts