• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Care of juvenile Mexican Flame knee tarantula

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
Hi guys. Thank you for having me.

I have always loved tarantulas, but have been out of the hobby for several years and I want to get back in.

I plan on getting juvenile Flame knee spiders (unsexed), with the hope that out of two or three that at least one will end up female.

I plan on using a mix of cocoanut coir, peat moss, and vermiculite as a substrate in 10 gallon glass aquariums (and yes, I know they're cannibalistic and will rear them in separate enclosures).

So . . . what kind of humidity gauge (hygrometer) can you guys reccomend? I see any number of them on Amazon, but a lot of the reviews are bad with regards to accuracy.

I lost my last Mexican redknee spiderling from what I suspect was excessive humidity (I know that the babies are more delicate, and more prone to fungal infection and dehydration) from a bad hygrometer.

So, what do you guys suggest? Any input would be deeply appreciated if you have ideas about substrate and/or humidity.

Thank you very much in advance.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys. Thank you for having me.

I have always loved tarantulas, but have been out of the hobby for several years and I want to get back in.

I plan on getting juvenile Flame knee spiders (unsexed), with the hope that out of two or three that at least one will end up female.

I plan on using a mix of cocoanut coir, peat moss, and vermiculite as a substrate in 10 gallon glass aquariums (and yes, I know they're cannibalistic and will rear them in separate enclosures).

So . . . what kind of humidity gauge (hygrometer) can you guys reccomend? I see any number of them on Amazon, but a lot of the reviews are bad with regards to accuracy.

I lost my last Mexican redknee spiderling from what I suspect was excessive humidity (I know that the babies are more delicate, and more prone to fungal infection and dehydration) from a bad hygrometer.

So, what do you guys suggest? Any input would be deeply appreciated if you have ideas about substrate and/or humidity.

Thank you very much in advance.
You do not need a humidity gauge, humidity as a whole is irrelevant to tarantula keeping. Good ventilation and the moisture in the substrate is more important.

I’m assuming you’re referring to Brachypelma auratum. They, along with others in the genus prefer dry substrate. It doesn’t hurt to overflow the water dish however.

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
You do not need a humidity gauge, humidity as a whole is irrelevant to tarantula keeping. Good ventilation and the moisture in the substrate is more important.

I’m assuming you’re referring to Brachypelma auratum. They, along with others in the genus prefer dry substrate. It doesn’t hurt to overflow the water dish however.
Thank you very much.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Maybe keep an eye out on these forums for a sexed female. You see them from time to time. I have done it both methods and am currently waiting for my G.rosea slings to grow big enough to sex them.

Last edited:

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Are these what you are looking for? These are from Microwilderness based in California.

SmartSelect_20220227-191725_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20220227-191751_Chrome.jpg

Kevin Levites

3 Year Member
By the way, I want to experiment with gut loading crickets with spirullina powder before feeding. Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Latest posts