• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can you sex P Regalis by sight ?

Grandsouls

Hello!
I just got what I am told most likely male P Regalis. It just moltEd unfortunately so I’ll have to wait a bit before I am able to check by molt. It’s about 6 and half inches maybe? Little longer if legs shot straight.
I look up male P Regalis male and it looks nothing like mine though. Anyone wanna take shots in the dark on what this T may be? Also do they have hooks as well? As I see none

Also if it is male what size will it be mature ?

Thanks random guessers here’s some pics.
B2D8058B-3F83-4709-A074-1724840D83F6.jpeg
3597553E-B189-41DC-B46B-D5CAF93421C5.jpeg

24719C8C-2C2D-41BE-B3E4-C1B5256A2FFE.jpeg

testdasi

Hello!
I just got what I am told most likely male P Regalis. It just moltEd unfortunately so I’ll have to wait a bit before I am able to check by molt. It’s about 6 and half inches maybe? Little longer if legs shot straight.
I look up male P Regalis male and it looks nothing like mine though. Anyone wanna take shots in the dark on what this T may be? Also do they have hooks as well? As I see none

Also if it is male what size will it be mature ?
Thanks random guessers here’s some pics.

You need a much closer picture of the mid section (forgot the scientific name) of the T (between the band and the mouth). You might even need 2 phones, 1 for the lighting and 1 for the photo. The flash washes out the details in the black area so it's very hard to tell. Even with proper lighting, it would still be hard due to the dark colour.

The mature male characteristics only show on the ultimate molt so yours are either female or immature male and it would be impossible to tell from afar. (and Pokies MM don't have hooks, just boxing gloves and for some species completely different colour).

At 6.5" though, the chance of female is pretty good.
I noticed P. regalis male tends to mature about the 5"-6" size. There are exceptions but rare so not 100% sure but I'd say better than 80% chance.

testdasi

PS: Pokies are sexed wrong all the times. I have got a guaranteed female P.met from a reputable dealer that I'm pretty sure is male and P.met is quite easy use the dot method due to the colour.
P. regalis with the dark underside is very hard to sex so unless the seller has done it by moult (in which case, it shouldn't be "most likely"), I still think you have a very good chance that a 6.5" is a female.
So keep your fingers crossed till the next moult. ;)

Grandsouls

PS: Pokies are sexed wrong all the times. I have got a guaranteed female P.met from a reputable dealer that I'm pretty sure is male and P.met is quite easy use the dot method due to the colour.
P. regalis with the dark underside is very hard to sex so unless the seller has done it by moult (in which case, it shouldn't be "most likely"), I still think you have a very good chance that a 6.5" is a female.
So keep your fingers crossed till the next moult. ;)
Ok I could take a pic yeah.
Awesome sounds good. Yeah he had molt but quite destroyed he thinks it was male but didn’t want to guarantee and sold unsexed..
Also when I search p regalis male, They are not very pretty? Is this at Full Full maturity / last molt kind of thing ?
Cuz she’s so vibrant and gorgeous.
Here’s last night after gave her a snack
E41AF50A-B64E-49CD-9C79-1C0F4DB55B9C.jpeg

testdasi

Ok I could take a pic yeah.
Awesome sounds good. Yeah he had molt but quite destroyed he thinks it was male but didn’t want to guarantee and sold unsexed..
Also when I search p regalis male, They are not very pretty? Is this at Full Full maturity / last molt kind of thing ?
Cuz she’s so vibrant and gorgeous.
Here’s last night after gave her a snack
Yup, the ugly ones are mature males and only have that ugly colour after the ultimate molt. (either that or just bad lighting).
Some claim to be able sex pre-mature P. regalis dorsally just by colour (e.g. the most common claim is that male is more dull) but I personally have found that it has no better chance than a coin toss. This is mainly because the T colour depends a lot of how far it is from the last / next molt.

Grandsouls

Yup, the ugly ones are mature males and only have that ugly colour after the ultimate molt. (either that or just bad lighting).
Some claim to be able sex pre-mature P. regalis dorsally just by colour (e.g. the most common claim is that male is more dull) but I personally have found that it has no better chance than a coin toss. This is mainly because the T colour depends a lot of how far it is from the last / next molt.
Gotcha

Latest posts