• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I See Your Adult Avicularia Versicolour Habitat?

Jolene

3 Year Member
My other half just purchased me a sling. I know as of right now what to keep it in. But I want to have lots of time to shop online and around for the terrarium for adulthood. Can I see some of your guys enclosures? And can you provide measurements of the tanks? As well, if it's a viv can you tell me what's in it? My frogs were in a viv so I'm not averse to going that route if it's a viable option. I've also read that a heat mat is a good idea....who uses one? And is it stuck on the bottom under the substrate or on the side? Thanks guys!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's a good enclosure for an adult Avicularia
https://jamiestarantulas.com/adult-tarantula-cage/

I'm not sure who told you heat mats are a good idea, because they're really not. Simply use a space heater to heat up the room and the spider will be fine.

Also I cannot stress enough how important cross-ventilation is with Avics slings. I personally don't recommend Avics to inexperienced keepers, as slings in particular tend to be more fragile and less forgiving of noob mistakes.

Jolene

3 Year Member
This isn't my first tarantula, not even my first aboreal. It is my first sling though. I would not of gotten one so small had I been there but I wasn't so I have to learn and work with what I have. And I'm trying to learn what I can before it comes home today to try and prevent said mistakes.

A lot of research said heat mats. A lot of sites recommended it. I asked for photo's of people's habitats because I wanted to see first hand what actual keepers, regular keepers, had in their homes. I have seen a ton of enclosures through google, now I wanted to see first hand. I am also in Canada so I don't get the same deals that people in the States do....plus right now...our dollar is horrific. I'll see what that amounts too at that site if they ship to Canada.

A space heater is not an option. However we do keep the room the snakes are in slightly warmer then the rest of the house so I will most likely keep it in there. I have a big home and I deal with Canadian winters....so the heat is on and up in the winter months. In the summer months like right now the room the snakes live in has no air conditioning going to it so it doesn't get cold.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not really sure what to tell you then. A small portable heater or a space heater would be your best bet. That's really the safest and most efficient way of heating tarantulas.

Jolene

3 Year Member
I doubt cold will be an issue if I keep it in the snake room as they have similar heating requirements. Where as the snakes do have heating tape in the rack the ambient temp in the room is kept at a temperature that would be fine for the tarantula.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well just remember that these are a tropical species. I'm not sure what type of environments your snakes are from.

Jolene

3 Year Member
The snakes need roughly 75 to 80F ambient IN the enclosures. So the room is usually kept about 10 degrees cooler as the heat tape raises the temp enough as its hooked up to a thermostat. So the room is generally 65 to 70

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Your Avic will likely do better if it's ambient temp is 75-80°F.

A space heater won't work for me either, so I've been experimenting with a heat pad installed on a glass plate placed a few inches behind the enclosures, to create somewhat of a micro-climate, which should give the T a temperature gradient.

Jolene

3 Year Member
He didn't make it :( He spun a web, molted and then promptly died. So this go round I'm buying my own tarantula and I will be doing some solid research and choosing something not so fragile

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He didn't make it :( He spun a web, molted and then promptly died. So this go round I'm buying my own tarantula and I will be doing some solid research and choosing something not so fragile
Sorry to hear that. I've had the exact same thing happen with a versi sling in the past. Some individuals are just more fragile than others. Don't give up entirely though, they're a great species. Just maybe get something a bit less fragile for now like you said.

Jolene

3 Year Member
I wouldn't if boughten that type or age if it hadn't been a gift :) so now its time for me to choose my own and I will make an informed choice. I've owned a huge array of critters and this was the first one I had been uninformed about....it won't happen again!

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Here's a good enclosure for an adult Avicularia
https://jamiestarantulas.com/adult-tarantula-cage/

I'm not sure who told you heat mats are a good idea, because they're really not. Simply use a space heater to heat up the room and the spider will be fine.

Also I cannot stress enough how important cross-ventilation is with Avics slings. I personally don't recommend Avics to inexperienced keepers, as slings in particular tend to be more fragile and less forgiving of noob mistakes.
LOVE Jamies!

Latest posts