1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I feed slings mealworms?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Feeding and Feeder Insects' started by Inky, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Inky

Inky Member

I will be getting two slings; an a. avicularia and a B. baumgarteni. Can I feed them mealworms from local bait shop?

Thanks
  2. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

You can always prekill them by removing the head. Mealworms can kill a T if it's caught molting.

Small B lats or flour beetles might be better for very small slings. If your sling is 1 inch, mini sized meal worms (smaller then the usual small size sold in pet stores) might work.

I feed my 4 B sabulosum slings B lats pinhead sized.
  3. Mr. P

Mr. P Active Member

I have a few slings and I cut up a superworm into four pieces and drop them in. I have actually watched the slings run out, grab a piece and run bak in to its hide.
    Whitelightning777 likes this.
  4. Inky

Inky Member

what about regular earth worms?
  5. Whitelightning777

Larger terrestrial Ts will eat them. Specifiably, my bT stirmi, Pamphobeteus machala and L Klugi love their post most and monthly earthworm but I wouldn't switch to them alone.

Small earth worm sections maybe between 1/2 to 1 inch in size might also work for small slings but I haven't tried that yet.

Basically Earthworms are better for larger spiders as a supplement not primary feeder.
  6. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

Mealworms cut into small pieces will be perfectly fine for small slings. When in juvie stage, you can start feeding superworms and larger roaches. In my case slings get prekilled crickets or mealworm parts, larger soecimens get superworms or mealworms.
  7. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Earthworms....might as well feed them fruit flies. feeder-insect-nutrition-data.png
  8. Whitelightning777

That's why Earthworms are just good for an occasional treats, not the main source of food. They are also good for the first post molt meal. It's not a bad idea to give untested fangs something very soft for the first go around.
    Inky likes this.
  9. Inky

Inky Member

Thanks! Looks like a helpful chart.
Draft saved Draft deleted