• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I Feed a Mexican Red Knee Mealworms?

Person

I am planning on getting a Mexican red knee as my first tarantula. I am unsure of what to feed it, I was wondering if mealworms would be an ok food?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I am planning on getting a Mexican red knee as my first tarantula. I am unsure of what to feed it, I was wondering if mealworms would be an ok food?

How old / big is it going to be? I feed all of my small slings beheaded mealworms. The reason we take the head off, is that it stops the mealworm from burrowing & then potentially reappearing later as a beetle, which could do serious harm to a T.

The advantages of beheading include. It gives the sling easy access to the soft inner of the mealworm. The mealworm remains able to move for well over 24 hours, so it is a good start towards live food & it is how they would naturally find some food in the wild.

I give all of my larger slings live food.

Last edited:

Latest posts