• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can anyone help me sex my freshly molted L. parahybana?

Ophidia

3 Year Member
This is the first molt since I brought it home (had just molted a few days before picking it it). It went off without a hitch-- timing from inversion to what looked like 2 tarantulas was about 2 hours.

Anyway, I have the slough pinned to a board and I'm not able to decide gender. I was hoping you's guys would look at it and tender your opinions. If it looks like a boy I'll probably have to get a second for a big, fat, long-lived spider. I've had spiders before but never attempted to sex by looking at the slough.

If you need a closer look or anything moved, the exoskeleton is still pinned to teh cardboard with a damp paper towel on top.That was about the closest I could get with the lens that I have.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• DSC_0061.JPG
    9.6 MB · Views: 29

Ghost

3 Year Member
Is it too small to tell? It's legspan is about 3" after this molt. That's almost an inch increase, which is insane.

No at 3 inches you can tell the sex,the problem I'm having is I'm viewing it on my phone and can't get zoomed in to see it clearly enough,if you can get a clear picture of just the underside of the abdomen between the anterior pair of book lungs then that would be better ..

Ophidia

3 Year Member
I'll see what I can do when I swing home for lunch. Hopefully a few drops of water will make the exoskeleton pliable again. How long do you think I should let it harden before offering a cricket?

Or do you mean the underside of the spider? I can try to chase him into something small with a transparent floor.

Ghost

3 Year Member
I'll see what I can do when I swing home for lunch. Hopefully a few drops of water will make the exoskeleton pliable again. How long do you think I should let it harden before offering a cricket?

Or do you mean the underside of the spider? I can try to chase him into something small with a transparent floor.

Sorry I meant the underside of the exo if you can get a good zoomed in pic of just the underside of the abdomen that would be good,also if you mix washing up liquid with water that should make it pliable again.
As for feeding the T I usually wait about 7 to 10 days after they molt at that size...

Last edited:

Ophidia

3 Year Member
I noticed the fangs were still a little light colored this morning, so definitely not ready for food. I'll try to get a good pic of the underside shortly. He/she has his/her first pink bristles here and there now!

Ghost

3 Year Member
If the fangs are still light coloured then wait untill they darken up....

Ophidia

3 Year Member
Here is a better pic of the skin, flipped over. It did not fare well being rehydrated and manipulated, most of the ophisthoma "skin" fell apart. I also gave it a quick mist with water, and it darted up on the side, so I have a nice close up of it's business to post too.

Attachments

• spider skin.jpg
    spider skin.jpg
    787 KB · Views: 28
  • spiderbutt.jpg
    spiderbutt.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 41

Ophidia

3 Year Member
I sent some pics to the reptile shop I bought her at (they raise their own salmon pinks, I believe) and she said It's a Girl!

Yay! I'm going to have my behemoth for many years!

Latest posts