• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can a wild Lasiodora become a pet?

Kuringa

Hi guys, my first post on this nice forum!

For some time I am thinking about have a spider. I would like to know, if I go to the wild, capture a young adult Lasiodora sp, provide her proper shelter, water and food, can it survive as a pet?
Thanks in advance!

meridannight

Even if the spider can handle readjusting to the new environment in captivity I strongly advise against capturing any kind of animals, including spiders, from the wild. They have grown up in the nature, and learned how to navigate that world and survive and get their needs met. They have made a home somewhere, a place they feel safe in. It's highly unethical to capture animals from the wild, especially since there is no shortage of captive bred tarantulas.

SullivanC

I would just buy lasiodora species like parahybana from a seller that is reputable instead so you dont have to worry about parasites like Enn just mentioned

Kuringa

Thank you very much guys!
These answers all helped me and opened my eyes for some details I was not aware.
Actually, despite my question, I've never thought about going to the wild to capture a tarantula, or 'caranguejera' as we call them (maybe due some similarity to 'caranguejos', i. e., crab). But last Friday this one in the picture just appeared on my backyard wall, slowly heading towards the grass. I can be criticized, but with my arachnophobia, I could never go to bed relaxed knowing that a caranguejera was around somewhere else. And our lawn area has no trees, no bushes, no stones, nothing that could indicate about her house being here. I'm sure she came from one of many green areas around the condo but I don't know which one. I could release her back to her hole if I knew this place and if was located a couple kilometers away from here.
In another hand, me and specially my wife were thinking about having one for quite some time and in this sense the fact it came to our home was a big coincidence. I am thinking here how bad it is to keep her with us. She still did not eat the cricket I gave yesterday and prefer to stay on the 'roof' of her coverture instead going to the dark hideout. Obviously everything is very weird for her.
About carrying parasites, this really made me think about the risks. Some months ago two guys here died due contact to fungus carried by wild armadillo.
I don't want to harm this animal neither infuriate none of you guys, but honestly, I was looking and spying on her during all the weekend. It seems to be a fascinating animal.

photo_2022-12-03_21-26-26.jpg
photo_2022-12-03_21-26-26.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are fascinating creatures and the more you learn and watch them the more intriguing they become.
They are also great in helping folks to overcome arachnophobia as I well know.
Lasiodora parahybana are a great Tarantula to begin with if you decide to buy one. They are easy to care for and fast growing.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could just be the angle but from what I can see of the pedipalps, there appears to be embolus on the end meaning that it is a mature male.

Thank you very much guys!
These answers all helped me and opened my eyes for some details I was not aware.
Actually, despite my question, I've never thought about going to the wild to capture a tarantula, or 'caranguejera' as we call them (maybe due some similarity to 'caranguejos', i. e., crab). But last Friday this one in the picture just appeared on my backyard wall, slowly heading towards the grass. I can be criticized, but with my arachnophobia, I could never go to bed relaxed knowing that a caranguejera was around somewhere else. And our lawn area has no trees, no bushes, no stones, nothing that could indicate about her house being here. I'm sure she came from one of many green areas around the condo but I don't know which one. I could release her back to her hole if I knew this place and if was located a couple kilometers away from here.
In another hand, me and specially my wife were thinking about having one for quite some time and in this sense the fact it came to our home was a big coincidence. I am thinking here how bad it is to keep her with us. She still did not eat the cricket I gave yesterday and prefer to stay on the 'roof' of her coverture instead going to the dark hideout. Obviously everything is very weird for her.
About carrying parasites, this really made me think about the risks. Some months ago two guys here died due contact to fungus carried by wild armadillo.
I don't want to harm this animal neither infuriate none of you guys, but honestly, I was looking and spying on her during all the weekend. It seems to be a fascinating animal.

View attachment 69166View attachment 69166

You live in Brazil ?
You have so many species there!
If i lived there, id definitely collect WC and breed my own.

Frogdaddy

3 Year Member
Please I was not trying to be cinical on my last reply. Just thought. The bad point is, releasing the wild one, I can not find a place to buy a sling tarantula here. Pitty.
Search the internet. I'm sure there are vendors in Brazil. It may take a bit of work to find some.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I have an idea, one that could benefit you and us. Have you thought about visiting the areas where these tarantulas live, maybe where you live or in the wild, to see these tarantulas in their native habitats or adapting to human habitats. It may help with your arachnophobia. And I think many of us would like to see them in the wild. I know I would be interested in seeing the Grammostola pulchra Brazilian Black Tarantula. Not sure what kind of camera you have so you may have to get somewhat close.

Latest posts