• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can a tarantula force quicker molting?

Kazegal

My C. cyaneopubescens has unfortunately had a rough molt. I can see some patches of her old exoskeleton sticking to her abdomen. Haven't been able to get a clear look at the book lungs, but the spinnerets might be stuck. She has all legs and the sucking stomach is also good, so that is definitely okay, but you can notice it has been rough on her.

Is it known if tarantulas can force a quicker molt if they are in rougher shape? We've already seen people nurturing extremely bad molts into a fresh, good molt so I am not really worried for mine. Biologically it seems cool if they could force a quicker molt. We're talking a female that molts only once per year and I had hopes of breeding her, but I'll lay off until the next molt.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning,
I have observed Ts molting at a much higher rate after a bad molt, especially when limbs go missing. Can’t say if it is a known fact or if it has been scientifically recorded but it is what I witnessed a couple of times. The trick is to have a T that can survive until the next one, one of the reasons why I like my Ts on the chubby side (although I trust being too chubby is also a risk at molt time).
Break a leg and hoping yours goes well.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Id have to say no with adult spiders. I've had lots of Ts over the years lose legs or I've purchased spiders missing legs and it Seems longer waiting to see that new little leg form. It's still a complete growth cycle that needs to develop. Species also may play a huge part in it as well. A sling may however cycle faster then a adult. I had a freshly molted sling lose two legs and in less then a week molted again.

CAcowgirl

A fully grown or nearly full grown female B. smithi/hamorii (I think it was a hybrid) I bought was missing a leg. She wasn't in a rush to replace it and I had her over 6 months before she passed away.

After that experience over 10 years ago, I am inclined to think that some molts are a lot less urgent than others and perhaps adults can't rush a molt as much as a growing sling.

I'm hoping yours does alright. I'm concerned for her spinerrets being stuck. Here's where my reptile husbandry starts kicking in and I'm inclined to help by providing it a temporary "hospital" setting on warm, damp paper towels and some moisture on that area in hopes of helping it slough off. Not sure if that's the right thing to do, but I would want that part of the molt to come off.

My C. cyaneopubescens has unfortunately had a rough molt. I can see some patches of her old exoskeleton sticking to her abdomen. Haven't been able to get a clear look at the book lungs, but the spinnerets might be stuck. She has all legs and the sucking stomach is also good, so that is definitely okay, but you can notice it has been rough on her.

Is it known if tarantulas can force a quicker molt if they are in rougher shape? We've already seen people nurturing extremely bad molts into a fresh, good molt so I am not really worried for mine. Biologically it seems cool if they could force a quicker molt. We're talking a female that molts only once per year and I had hopes of breeding her, but I'll lay off until the next molt.
I know this is nearly a month old thread, but how is she doing? Did she manage to get that stuck piece of molt off? I would also be concerned about if her anus is covered or not.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, please share an update. Hoping it's stable even if it hasn't molted yet.
This is typical forum behavior. They read comments but never chime back in, not even to say thank you. Got what I want... cya. This is why you see long time forum members not caring too much about helping anymore. Guys/gals feel unappreciated and burned out typing the same stuff over and over.

This is typical forum behavior. They read comments but never chime back in, not even to say thank you. Got what I want... cya. This is why you see long time forum members not caring too much about helping anymore. Guys/gals feel unappreciated and burned out typing the same stuff over and over.
The same thing happens on the other forums I'm on. However, I've noticed sometimes if they have email notifications on for the thread the email can prod them to come back and at least update with a quick "hey any news." Doesn't often work, but ~1/4 of the time it seems to work.

Latest posts