• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cage Advise Please

Mom2BdayBoi

3 Year Member
So I built this cage for my boyfriend's tarantula and THEN found out it was not an aboreal.. She is a Chilean Rose. So we put her in the cage and all she has been doing is climbing as high as she can go! I thought since they burrow she wouldn't do that? Anyway, we took out the sticks and she seems to be staying on the ground. Do you think this cage will still be ok for her?

It's plexi sides, the top is has a plastic mesh material and about 4 inches of substrate. The T is about 3 inch leg span.

Sorry this is a bad pic!

Attachments

• 543319_4365297296227_894089994_n.jpg
    543319_4365297296227_894089994_n.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I personally wouldn't put a Rose in that. A fall from the top of the enclosure would easily kill it.She's probably climbing because she startled to be in a new enclosure. she will settle down. I strongly suggest a Medium KK or a small Tank.

Atx13

3 Year Member
You can get a sterilite(sp?) shoe box... the smaller one, for like 2 bucks, make about 12 dime size holes around it, and they work awesome. Hold the temp well, plenty of room to add a hide and water dish.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely not the best set up for a Rosie. You want something with more floor space than height, taking care that the top of the tank is no more than 2 legspans (iirc) to the substrate to avoid injury in a fall. Kenny & Atx's suggestions are good ones :) We have our rosie in a 10 gallon tank, which is probably overkill (and it took a lot of sub to fill it to a safe height), but it was what I had on hand at the time hehe

The good thing, is that once you move your Rosie to a better suited enclosure, you now have a great set up for an arboreal T :D You did a great job on the enclosure btw :)