• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C versicolor

James1975

I wake up this morning to find c versicolor in death curl why I keep asking myself,did I do something wrong.im devastated.last night before bed she was fine,walking around her enclosure,no sign she was I'll. Or anything wrong.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Sorry to hear this.
Do you have photos of the enclosure she was in? Stagnant air in the enclosures or dehydration have been the most common reason for SADS (sudden avic death syndrome).
Though, it's good to remember that sometimes a perfectly healthy looking T might die overnight even if everything have been fine with care. Some individuals aren't meant so survive.

James1975

Here is the enclosure

Attachments

• 15788531836085797351873511213931.jpg
    15788531836085797351873511213931.jpg
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 30

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hey there James. That's bad news. Sorry mate.
The top ventilation looks good but to get good cross ventilation you would need more air holes going down the sides in rows. That way air can circulate through the enclosure.
How were you watering it? Waterdish or spraying?
Most keepers have fake foliage overhanging the top of the corkbark, because they prefer moving amongst cover, even for their slings.
Dont give up with this species though James!

James1975

Hi jess yeah I think more cross ventilation.that was the enclosure it came in.i use to spray the web so it could drink.its almost put me of getting another.for you I wont give up,I will try getting a bigger 1 in the future.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi jess yeah I think more cross ventilation.that was the enclosure it came in.i use to spray the web so it could drink.its almost put me of getting another.for you I wont give up,I will try getting a bigger 1 in the future.

A combination of spraying and not enough ventilation could've led to the stagnant stuffy conditions that can kill off C. versi and Avics. I'm so glad that you are going to try again though. I just wish I had one to send you :)

spodermin

Ive never seen a versi on the ground so I keep a very bioactive substrate which I keep completely soaked. Proper ventilation as mentioned to offset this. I don't mist but I do keep a waterdish.

I have had terrible luck with very small slings of this species though. Anything around 1/2" or 3/4" is tricky, try to have them grow fast as possible

Latest posts