• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C Versicolor gave me a new years ever gift….

jrh3

3 Year Member
So excited about this one, can’t really get a good pic of her so here is her tunnel haha. Now the question is should I pull in 30 days or let them hatch with her? @octanejunkie @Arachnoclown any thoughts, tips or recommendations? My first arboreal sac, all my other sac have been terrestrial.

326C67E9-CECD-485D-96DF-48C8F5DDB098.jpeg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I waited to pull my versicolor sac at 45 days, rather than 30, and I left the sac intact
I turned the sac daily in the incubator
I tore it open after about 10 days I had 1i and 2i slings
After a week they were all 2i
I had a 95% hatch rate

I pulled my first avic sac at 30 days, opened the sac and dumped the eggs/ewls out and ultimately had about a 55% hatch rate.

YMMV

jrh3

3 Year Member
Good deal, My last sac I found that taking some of the females webbing and spreading it out in the incubator makes the slings spread out and venture at first instar instead of staying grouped up by the sac. I will probably do this with these when I pull it.

My OBT slings are currently flipping back and forth so they should hit 2i soon, its gonna be fun times with hundreds of slings at once, lol.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I waited to pull my versicolor sac at 45 days, rather than 30, and I left the sac intact
I turned the sac daily in the incubator
I tore it open after about 10 days I had 1i and 2i slings
After a week they were all 2i
I had a 95% hatch rate

I pulled my first avic sac at 30 days, opened the sac and dumped the eggs/ewls out and ultimately had about a 55% hatch rate.

YMMV
Never had less then 100% hatch rate with Avicularia at 28-30 days.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Until they seem crowded and need their own space.

I also sell them off as I go, so there's naturally fewer of them in the dorms overtime.
I use to keep Avicularia communally in the late 80s early 90s. Had a few old ladies living together for many years. All died of old age except one...she fell while molting.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Never had less then 100% hatch rate with Avicularia at 28-30 days.
In your decades of experience, have there been particularly difficult species to breed/ eggs to hatch? If so, which ones. Sorry to divert the subject abit, but I get overly curious sometimes.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics in general are larger slings, so larger sacs, and of all the full-sized avics, versicolor are on the smaller size as slings.

Good looking updates!

How many individuals?

John2097

3 Year Member
Any idea why a few of these guys are turning pink? I haven’t got a total count yet.

View attachment 64021
Had this happen to some of my hatched slings in the past usually you’ll see this color pink in 1st instar. Could have been infection, they probably absorb something like mold etch.. who knows?? They rarely made to 2nd instar. :(
One of them is leaking which is a bad sign.

But most are looking good and about to hit 2nd instar. Congrats!!

jrh3

3 Year Member
Had this happen to some of my hatched slings in the past usually you’ll see this color pink in 1st instar. Could have been infection, they probably absorb something like mold etch.. who knows?? They rarely made to 2nd instar. :(
One of them is leaking which is a bad sign.

But most are looking good and about to hit 2nd instar. Congrats!!

Thanks, I heard the same about the pink from a Facebook post. Would you recommend taking the pink ones out?