1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C versicolor disaster averted ??

Discussion in 'Tarantula Photos and Videos' started by Whitelightning777, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

So, my Versicolor started exploring the bottom of the enclosure like he was looking for something.

I captured some pictures of him hanging around a stump in the cage.

Later when I returned, I noticed he was lethargic and maybe even going into a death curl.

I added a water dish after misting the cage. He made a straight line for it and currently is getting a nice big drink. Hopefully he'll be ok. The substrate is vermiculite.

Here's the pics.

C Versicolor Charles stump 1.jpg C Versicolor Charles stump 2.jpg C Versicolor Charles stump 3.jpg C Versicolor Charles stump 4.jpg C Versicolor Charles stump 5.jpg C Versicolor Charles stump 6.jpg C Versicolor Charles disaster averted 1.jpg C Versicolor Charles disaster averted 2.jpg
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Why didn't it have a water bowl already?
    Nunua, Dustin Amack and Shampain like this.
  3. Shampain

Shampain Well-Known Member

I’m not having a pop bud but I thought it was primary to give all Ts a water dish except small slings whose pot is too small to fit one in? Nice pics though :)
    Nunua and Enn49 like this.
  4. Dustin Amack

Dustin Amack Well-Known Member

Water dish is essential. I've also heard that using only vermiculite as a substrate will dehydrate your T. Vermiculite is designed to absorb moisture, this sucking moisture out of everything in can... Just a thought.
    Nunua and Enn49 like this.
  5. Shampain

Shampain Well-Known Member

Vermiculite only is good for slings imo... Deadly Tarantula girl on YouTube swears by it... I also like it as it holds moisture well but I agree if left unsuitably Dry it will suck any remaining moisture from the enclosure :)
  6. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

I agree...i only use straight vermiculite with tiny slings that dont need a water dish yet(the vermiculite is really wet). I use 2 water dishes with my Versicolors and Avics. A large one on the ground then I hot glue one up high where the spend the majority of their time.
  7. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted