• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brocklehursti vs Geniculata

Atx13

3 Year Member
I currently have 2 A.geniculata slings, and what was sold to me as an A.brocklehursti.. I've done a bit of research to try and confirm my Brocklehursti is infact a Brocklehursti, and the only difference I can notice is possible the sizing on the bands?
Is there any other way to really tell the difference in the 2? I wont be upset if my brocklehursti is a genic. I just want to know for sure.
Any links or info would be awesome, i just want to be 100% sure.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
nope, it's just the bands(brocks are thinner). As adults, Genics are bigger and stockier.
Also, Brocks are about half the price.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Yep, bands on brocks are thinner. I think I read somewhere that brocks have some red hairs on the carapace. Not sure at what size that shows up. Spermathacae are different also.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just curious, but have you noticed any difference in the personality?

My wee Ginny thinks she is a Bad @ss...

Atx13

3 Year Member
My Genic's are still pretty small, not much attitude from them, not kicking hairs yet... My Brock. is mean, has charged me twice, kicks hairs whenever im near it...

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My wee genic has a lot of attitude. She walks around with her butt stuck straight up in the air and goes into defense poses often. Hasn't kicked hairs at me yet though. I think it's adorable when she walks in circles around a cricket chunk in a defense pose before finally attacking it.

Atx13

3 Year Member
My little A.genics, one is around 1.5-1.75" in size, the other is about 1" maybe 1.25" they are both pretty easy going, the bigger one is super skittish, the other one seems laid back.
Debating on getting another Genic sling, thinking they will be my first real breeding project in the next couple years, I'm slowly falling in love with Acanthoscurria's. Hoping to add the rest of the available genus to my collection in the next year or so :).

Andrevdw

3 Year Member
I think I also found a difference... But I will say the opposite of you guys about the banding. I was doing intense research on this in the last few days and came across a site.... http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/586
I will also add a picture of my Ts spermathecae. Just to be objective you guys tell me from this what T I have after which ill post a picture of her and say as what I have her...
20130902_195905a.jpg
20130902_195718c.jpg

Andrevdw

3 Year Member
Some one else posted this in another forum on another site asking the same question. After I looked at the spermatheca I disagreed with them. Now we have the spermathecaes to compare with each other. Let me know if you agree and what you think. I also compared if it is of any relevance the chaco golden knee (grammostola pulchripes) with the giant white knee( A. Genic) as the golden knee and white knee markings are very similar(excl the color). So if u look at the A. Block (giant black and white) with thicker white bands and the black and white (Nhandu coloratovillosus) with even thicker white bands.
IMG_7273.jpg
IMG_7281.jpg

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yours is a Brockelhursti. Both by the spermethecae and by the lack of banding on the back tibia.

Andrevdw

3 Year Member
If you could maybe explain so that I will be able to see the difference easier. Because I see no difference to my Brock and this pictures Genic..

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Genics tend to have banding on the back tibia. Brocks have very light or no banding..
It's harder to seed on a Molt than a living specimen.

Latest posts