• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding?!?

Bull56

3 Year Member
So I have had a G. Rosea for about a year I have been away from it for a while on a trip and I come home to it looking like this. I didn't know the sex of it to begin with but now I've got an idea. I thought it was getting ready to molt because of all the signs of premolt but here is this sac. I haven't had it mate with anything... How the hell does it have a sac?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

Redacted

3 Year Member
Easy. That's a WC. G. 'North', having mated prior to capture. MAJOR CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU.

Bull56

3 Year Member
What should I do? I have no experience with this. How long will it take for eggs to hatch? Do I need to turn up my thermostat?

Redacted

3 Year Member
It took more than a year for her to lay them?
Yes. That can happen. Not unusual, especially among WCs and older females.

Temp at 78-82. Pull at 30-40 days, gently rip open. Should be eggs with legs. Keep posted.

She should molt soon thereafter. If the molt after that is more than a year, say 2-3 yrs, she's older.

Good for you.

Bull56

3 Year Member
Yes. That can happen. Not unusual, especially among WCs and older females.

Temp at 78-82. Pull at 30-40 days, gently rip open. Should be eggs with legs. Keep posted.

She should molt soon thereafter. If the molt after that is more than a year, say 2-3 yrs, she's older.

Good for you.
thanks for your help

Bull56

3 Year Member
Thanks! how would I know the difference between fertilized eggs and unfertilized eggs? I tried flipping over the sac, exposing some of the eggs...I grabbed part of the webbing to do so. She seemed pretty territorial and protective. I don't think my apartment is warm enough to keep it at 76+ degrees.

Bull56

3 Year Member
Thanks! how would I know the difference between fertilized eggs and unfertilized eggs? I tried flipping over the sac, exposing some of the eggs...I grabbed part of the webbing to do so. She seemed pretty territorial and protective. I don't think my apartment is warm enough to keep it at 76+ degrees.
also how do you know it is a WC?