• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Breeding Help

Raevanblue

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to the hobby. I have been a keeper for 10 years so I've gathered a lot of knowledge and experience in that time. Lately my collection has been expanding and I am eager to look into breeding. I have done a lot of research but it would be nice to get information and a few things clarified from a real experienced breeder firsthand. A few questions I have is:

- what is/is there a cut off age for females and males to breed? I have an 11 year old rose hair and my mature female A. Seemanni's age is unknown.

- Is there a prime time to breed? I know for males it is after they mature and create a sperm web, but I don't know about females.

- do you need to adjust their diet/habitat in any way?

I want to learn as much as possible before I try my hand at it, so any input at all or links that have benefited you I'd love to see. I will have more questions in the future about babies and such, but so far I am interested in hearing your responses. thank you!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I dont believe there's a cut off age with females, my 18 year old hamorii produced a sack.

Males need to breed within 4 months of maturing. Females need to breed within 6 months of their last molt cycle.

As for feeding both need to eat after breeding. The male needs to recharge and the female needs to develop eggs. Of course the lady needs to eat more. Just keep feeding her weekly until she refuses.

Raevanblue

I dont believe there's a cut off age with females, my 18 year old hamorii produced a sack.

Males need to breed within 4 months of maturing. Females need to breed within 6 months of their last molt cycle.

As for feeding both need to eat after breeding. The male needs to recharge and the female needs to develop eggs. Of course the lady needs to eat more. Just keep feeding her weekly until she refuses.
That is wonderful thank you for your reply. I want to be more involved in this forum so I will probably be posting more questions on my breeding journey! Haha thanks again

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, but I'm not new to the hobby. I have been a keeper for 10 years so I've gathered a lot of knowledge and experience in that time. Lately my collection has been expanding and I am eager to look into breeding. I have done a lot of research but it would be nice to get information and a few things clarified from a real experienced breeder firsthand. A few questions I have is:

- what is/is there a cut off age for females and males to breed? I have an 11 year old rose hair and my mature female A. Seemanni's age is unknown.

- Is there a prime time to breed? I know for males it is after they mature and create a sperm web, but I don't know about females.

- do you need to adjust their diet/habitat in any way?

I want to learn as much as possible before I try my hand at it, so any input at all or links that have benefited you I'd love to see. I will have more questions in the future about babies and such, but so far I am interested in hearing your responses. thank you!
Hey what's up, I'm on the same page as you, I have been a keeper for several years and now am just learning how to breed. Like @octanejunkie said it is a risk that reaps it's rewards and each species has it's varying breeding requirements. @Arachnoclown that's amazing that your 18 old hamorii produced a sac, and yes agreed, stuff the female's face before and after breeding. I heard that the M. balfouri are quite easy to pair up as they are communal as well as the female cares for the slings when they hatch out. They have a Lil attitude as they are old world but they are amazing T's. Keep in touch

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Some species are easier to breed than others.
Some females need to be conditioned before being paired.
Some males don't survive the encounter regardless.
You have to accept the risks and requirements to reap the rewards.
I've been raising tarantulas since the early 90s and just now pondering breeding them. Currently I have a mature female B. hamorii and a C. cyaneopubescens. Would one be easier than the other to breed?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Watch some YouTube videos about breeding each of those species. Each have their nuances and challenges, GBB especially so.