• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

TylerExotic

Does anybody have any experience with Pterinopelma sazimai (Brazilian Blue) Ts? Especially slings? Just got one as my first sling and there’s very limited information on them online.

Attachments

• CD05AD00-9283-4ABA-AF03-75E489DCB028.jpeg
    CD05AD00-9283-4ABA-AF03-75E489DCB028.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • 3BCB2780-7BBB-41A8-8E3C-04D93143E1E3.jpeg
    3BCB2780-7BBB-41A8-8E3C-04D93143E1E3.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 13

timc

3 Year Member
Raising one now, really neat spoods. Unfortunately, they’re not really as blue as they look in pictures and you need a light to get that sheen you see online. So, from your pictures it looks like you have that little guy in a mansion. All slings benefit from smaller enclosures as it helps them feel more secure and helps them find their prey easier. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s just what it looks like. Next, I’ve noticed they like their substrate a little more on the wetter side than your average Brachypelma or Aphonopelma. Keep them more like a Nhandu. Not sopping wet, but damp. Provide a hide and viola, you’ll have a happy spider!

They grow at a medium rate, and yes they do need moist substrate. From what I understand their coloration is most prominent after a molt, and they develop darker, more subdued coloration as they get older.

timc

3 Year Member
Oh, and for NWs they can also kinda be jerks from what I understand. I haven’t experienced it yet but threat postures aren’t uncommon during interactions like rehouses.

TylerExotic

Raising one now, really neat spoods. Unfortunately, they’re not really as blue as they look in pictures and you need a light to get that sheen you see online. So, from your pictures it looks like you have that little guy in a mansion. All slings benefit from smaller enclosures as it helps them feel more secure and helps them find their prey easier. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s just what it looks like. Next, I’ve noticed they like their substrate a little more on the wetter side than your average Brachypelma or Aphonopelma. Keep them more like a Nhandu. Not sopping wet, but damp. Provide a hide and viola, you’ll have a happy spider!
Yes, I had a deli cup set up for it but realized it was a lot smaller than I was expecting when it arrived. That picture was immediately after unboxing. I immediately prepped a smaller enclosure in one of those little takeout side cups and rehoused it. Much easier to keep track of him now lol.

TylerExotic

They grow at a medium rate, and yes they do need moist substrate. From what I understand their coloration is most prominent after a molt, and they develop darker, more subdued coloration as they get older.
Having some issues with burrowing, the soil seems too loose. Trying out switching to “dig-it” from joshs frogs. It’s ground peat moss and vermiculite. I’m just worried about mold issues. What substrate would you recommend for burrowing and moisture?

TylerExotic

Yes, I had a deli cup set up for it but realized it was a lot smaller than I was expecting when it arrived. That picture was immediately after unboxing. I immediately prepped a smaller enclosure in one of those little takeout side cups and rehoused it. Much easier to keep track of him now lol.
Or her, hopefully

TylerExotic

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new T, and first post here!

There is a ton of info available online. Here is one example from Richard at @TarantulaCollective

Why not post a hello about yourself in the Introductions section since you are new here?
I’ve seen the t collective and Tom morans videos on them, super helpful. I was more looking just for other keepers experiences and knowledge as each t within a species can have slightly different personalities.

TylerExotic

Had a mold issue with the substrate I was using. Rehoused again this time using a peat/vermiculite mix. What do you think?
Rehoused again using a peat/vermiculite mix. What do you think?

Attachments

• 4E5EE4AC-9A85-44CB-8915-410D372F4461.jpeg
    4E5EE4AC-9A85-44CB-8915-410D372F4461.jpeg
    813.6 KB · Views: 8
Having some issues with burrowing, the soil seems too loose. Trying out switching to “dig-it” from joshs frogs. It’s ground peat moss and vermiculite. I’m just worried about mold issues. What substrate would you recommend for burrowing and moisture?
For my moisture dependent species I use Reptisoil, and others use a mixture of peat moss/ topsoil. I like it because it doesn't mold like coco fiber tends to do.

New2T’s

3 Year Member
I’m raising one now. Got it as a sling and it’s now a juvie. They grow at a decent speed. Mine molted a couple months ago and man it’s a total jackass now. Soon as touch enclosure goes straight into standing threat posture. They can also be pretty skittish. I have to be careful bc mine will try to bolt out of enclosure. They are beautiful right after a molt. I recommend using a flashlight to see the coloration. Right now mine looks purplish. They appreciate more moisture. Just keep substrate damp. Mine doesn’t use its hide. It may start using it as it gets older. He’s filled his with substrate.

Latest posts