• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brazilian Black Tarantula Transfer Problem

pavlos

3 Year Member
So i got a new aquarium for my brazilian black T. He is 3 and a half years old. So like all docile Ts, when I was tapping him to his back legs, he was moving forward. Once I took him to my hand, and a lot of times i have changed his dirt which required me taking him out by tapping his back legs. For some reason now, when I tap his back legs with a rolled up tissue, he turns around and attacks it. This is so weird why he does that? At first I though maybe he was hungry so I gave him a small worm, and after 4 hours, I tried to transfer him again, and the same thing happened. First time he does that. It's so weird. Any tips or anyone with the same situation? A docile species being that defensive?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So i got a new aquarium for my brazilian black T. He is 3 and a half years old. So like all docile Ts, when I was tapping him to his back legs, he was moving forward. Once I took him to my hand, and a lot of times i have changed his dirt which required me taking him out by tapping his back legs. For some reason now, when I tap his back legs with a rolled up tissue, he turns around and attacks it. This is so weird why he does that? At first I though maybe he was hungry so I gave him a small worm, and after 4 hours, I tried to transfer him again, and the same thing happened. First time he does that. It's so weird. Any tips or anyone with the same situation? A docile species being that defensive?
You'll see this from time to time with tarantulas. Regardless of species, each spider is an individual. I've seen "docile" spiders turn mean, and i've watched mean ones chill out over time. They have bad days/weeks/years, all of them. This may just be a week or a month thing, or your spider may remain very defensive the rest of its life. Its a coin toss..

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Why? Because it's a tarantula, it's what they do. Just because they are docile doesn't mean they are tame or domesticated.

A man has a pet tiger, he feeds it, he pets it, he plays with it and it just acts like an everyday house cat. One day the tiger attacks the man, why? It's just the nature of the beast.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah what you guys say is true I guess, but I thought tapping the back legs so the spider will move forward is a standard technique that can't go wrong. I guess I was wrong.
That's actually just a method for testing their temperment, it didn't go wrong, it saved you from a bite :D I used to just reach in and run the "docile" spiders onto my hand. Eventually that would have earned me a bite for my arrogance..

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Temperaments can change. Handling is not recommended, however I also find coaxing and prodding is unnecessary for the species that are not fossorial. Instead of prodding, I recommend just jumping straight to the catch cup method.

pavlos

3 Year Member
thanks for ur replies. I tried again today, still the grumpy son of a ***** attacked the paper on the first touch, but after that he was just moving forward on each tap. He now has a new home.

pavlos

3 Year Member
That's actually just a method for testing their temperment, it didn't go wrong, it saved you from a bite :D I used to just reach in and run the "docile" spiders onto my hand. Eventually that would have earned me a bite for my arrogance..
Damn. What docile species did you have/handle?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Damn. What docile species did you have/handle?
Every new world species in my collection, except some of the SA giants with huge fangs. I didn't want any nerve damage from 1/2" to 3/4 inch fangs, and didn't want them harming themselves jumping out of my hand. Handled species: wow this will take time, lol, hmm..A. avic, G rosea, G porteri, MM Lasiodora parahybana(on several occasions) GBB MM, my G pulchra sling that used to charge me and then think better of it, now a very slow growing juvie female, both of my Poecis, (by accident), and a Euathlus sp. Tiger who I regret selling, she was an absolute sweety, like the Lp male. Remember, all tarantulas are individuals. They also have bad days, weeks or months regularly. They're not unpredictable, they let you know if they dont want to be held, but that can change very fast for no reason you can identify. Touch a back leg..DISCLAIMER: My experience with handling may be unique, I have no basis for comparison. A G pulchra reaches 6" if I remember correctly. A six inch tarantula has fangs large enough to cause nerve and muscle damage in humans. Handle at you're own risk. They don't get used to handling, they don't form a bond with you. They cannot be tamed or taught. They get used to conditions, not keepers. You could very well recieve a painfull bite from a docile tarantula, at ANY time. Some of us are bold. Sometimes we pay for it. :D

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some of my docile tarantulas get real testy at the beginning of their premolt. I have always felt their already bad eyesight is even worse when their new exo develops. Their other senses may be off a little as well. May not be true but it's always been my thought when they start to get jumpy or defensive.

Solsurfer

My g pulchra has always been testy . I don't ever plan on handling it . It's takes off full speed sometimes like an o.w. it's busted out twice too by chewing through plastic . On that subject my ole ladys g rosea used to be aggressive too more so than alot of oldworlds i have. So much for the labrador retreiver tarantula.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My g pulchra has always been testy . I don't ever plan on handling it . It's takes off full speed sometimes like an o.w. it's busted out twice too by chewing through plastic . On that subject my ole ladys g rosea used to be aggressive too more so than alot of oldworlds i have. So much for the labrador retreiver tarantula.
Its rare when they chew their way out of the enclosure, I've only heard that a few times. That would be cool to watch. I wonder why some do that.

Solsurfer

That particular spider seems to enjoy roaming never hides always walking. It was a cheap cricket container sort of deal so not too formidable . It's very interesting to watch . I really got a good view of what the fangs could do . It could almost point them straight out which I've never seen other than that.

Last edited:

nubka

Some of my docile tarantulas get real testy at the beginning of their premolt. I have always felt their already bad eyesight is even worse when their new exo develops. Their other senses may be off a little as well. May not be true but it's always been my thought when they start to get jumpy or defensive.
My snakes get like that when they go into their "cloudy" pre-shed phase. Their eyes cloud over and they really can't see. Naturally, they become very nervous, so we try if possible, not to handle them at all. This phase only lasts for maybe three or four days.

Latest posts