• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma vagans... Help!

Julianaaax

Had my B. Vegans for a couple months now (molted twice since I had him and his last molt was 20th October) it’s my first T so I’m still learning, but recently I noticed these yellowish spots on the inside of his abdomen and his rump looks a bit concerning, he’s been a bit lethargic lately but he’s been eating fine and had his last meal (locust) a couple days ago, his water bowl always has water in it and I overflow it sometimes as to wet the substrate and temp is fine. Should I be concerned?
upload_2018-12-4_20-6-39.png

upload_2018-12-4_20-10-37.png

Mattkc

3 Year Member
Not to worry! The “yellowish” spots under his belly is it’s book lungs (4). Your T appears well feed by the size of its abdomen, as well as a sign that it’s getting close to molting again. Some T’s start kicking hair when getting close to their molt time - it can get uncomfortable like wearing clothes that are a few sizes to small. T’s will get lethargic during premolt, and when older will slow down or stop eating weeks before molting. You are doing good by adding a little more moisture in it’s cage - keep the water bowl full and clean and spray the coco fiber around it till wet, then let dry out and repeat. These Brachy’s are more tropical than most of the others in its family.
Bottom line it appears your doing everything right - relax and enjoy!

Last edited:

Julianaaax

Not to worry! The “yellowish” spots under his belly is it’s book lungs (4). Your T appears well feed by the size of its abdomen, as well as a sign that it’s getting close to molting again. Some T’s start kicking hair when getting close to their molt time - it can get uncomfortable like wearing clothes that are a few sizes to small. T’s will get lethargic during premolt, and when older will slow down or stop eating weeks before molting. You are doing good by adding a little more moisture in it’s cage - keep the water bowl full and clean and spray the coco fiber around it till wet, then let dry out and repeat. These Brachy’s are more tropical than most of the others in its family.
Bottom line it appears your doing everything right - relax and enjoy!
Thank you, was really stressed for a while but this helped, he’s molted now and is all big and healthy! Now I know for future reference what to look for during a pre molt.

Mattkc

3 Year Member
Thank you, molted a few days ago, nice and healthy although has become slightly aggressive, and no I’m not sure whether it’s a male or female, how do I find out?
To effectively sex a "T", you would need to post a clear closeup photo of the inside of its molt - specifically the inside of the abdomen shed between the two upper book lungs where the vent is located. To those who may be critical of me using layman terms for "T" anatomy, with "Julianaaax" current experience level, there is no reason to make this anymore confusing!
Allow enough time for the exoskeleton to harden before offering food, usually for 5 to 10 days - the older they are usually the longer before there ready to eat. I've had small juvenile vagans eating 2 days post molt - although this can be risky to their health with biting or thrashing prey item.