1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma sabulosum identification help...

Discussion in 'Brachypelma' started by Umbra, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Umbra

Umbra New Member

Hi guys.

Compared to the vagans, angustum and sabulosum, these species are all very similar to the point of seeing no differences between them for the untrained eye.

I want to know, how can I spot the difference? I have bought a b.sabulosum a month or so ago as my second spider, but i am just curious because they look exactly similar to the vagans they were selling.

Thanks in advance :) and excuse my typos.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    MassExodus likes this.
  2. Umbra

Umbra New Member

Just bumping this thread up a bit since it was posted a while ago with no reply.
  3. Redacted

Redacted Well-Known Member

Well, I partly was hoping it would go away! Ha! It's a weird one. I have an honest to gosh WC sabulosum caught as a youngster 20 ish years ago. Looks just like many vagans I've seen. I read once that the rear legs are reddish in sabulosum. In vagans,I see some with red and some without. Also se vagans with and without cream carapace border. Who knows what kind of genetic soup people have accidentally made of vagans? Captive sabulosum I just don't trust. I would love to pair my female with a real sabulosum if only I knew what one was.
    Kymura likes this.
  4. Nicolas C

Nicolas C Well-Known Member

Sorry for not having chime in... but I really cannot help you, because I don't have enough scientific datas on this and never had one...
  5. kormath

kormath Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

everything i've found say the vagans have the tan border on the carapce, the sabulosum don't. my vagans has it, my sabulosum doesn't. the S. angustum have red hairs on the 2 back legs (#4 and #8), and are a bit smaller than the vagans. I've read the spermethcae are different, but can't confirm that in my searches.
  6. Casey K.

Casey K. Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

In sabulosum the abdominal setae is more of an orange/red color than actual "red" like Vagans. I used to have an AF.
  7. kormath

kormath Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

i'll have to check that out :) if i can ever get them both out of the hides at the same time lol.
  8. Redacted

Redacted Well-Known Member

I have one of each, the sab having been WC a long time ago. Thanks. I will check.
Draft saved Draft deleted