• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma sabulosum identification help...

Umbra

3 Year Member
Hi guys.

Compared to the vagans, angustum and sabulosum, these species are all very similar to the point of seeing no differences between them for the untrained eye.

I want to know, how can I spot the difference? I have bought a b.sabulosum a month or so ago as my second spider, but i am just curious because they look exactly similar to the vagans they were selling.

Thanks in advance :) and excuse my typos.

Last edited:

Redacted

3 Year Member
Just bumping this thread up a bit since it was posted a while ago with no reply.
Well, I partly was hoping it would go away! Ha! It's a weird one. I have an honest to gosh WC sabulosum caught as a youngster 20 ish years ago. Looks just like many vagans I've seen. I read once that the rear legs are reddish in sabulosum. In vagans,I see some with red and some without. Also se vagans with and without cream carapace border. Who knows what kind of genetic soup people have accidentally made of vagans? Captive sabulosum I just don't trust. I would love to pair my female with a real sabulosum if only I knew what one was.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
everything i've found say the vagans have the tan border on the carapce, the sabulosum don't. my vagans has it, my sabulosum doesn't. the S. angustum have red hairs on the 2 back legs (#4 and #8), and are a bit smaller than the vagans. I've read the spermethcae are different, but can't confirm that in my searches.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In sabulosum the abdominal setae is more of an orange/red color than actual "red" like Vagans. I used to have an AF.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In sabulosum the abdominal setae is more of an orange/red color than actual "red" like Vagans. I used to have an AF.
i'll have to check that out :) if i can ever get them both out of the hides at the same time lol.

Redacted

3 Year Member
I have one of each, the sab having been WC a long time ago. Thanks. I will check.

Latest posts