• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma angustum

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Whilst at Bedford a few weeks ago I brought a Brachypelma angustum from a well known dealer there. Yet online information suggests that that in 1980 it was described as Sericopelma angustum by Carlos E. Valerio.

Wiki which is not the best source for factual infomation, also suggests that the T's sold as Brachypelma angustum since the early 1990's may not be Sericopelma angustum. To confuse me even more.

Is there any logical reason behind these T's being sold as a Brachypelma & not as a Sericopelm?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I read something about that topic, could've been on the other forum, however I can't remember. I think they should be known as sericopelma, but don't quote me.

I did read just a couple days ago that a Brachypelma revision is coming at the end of the year, so if the angustum is still in the genus it could change very soon.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
This may shed a bit of further light on the matter!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This may shed a bit of further light on the matter!

Thank you, hat was a mixture of a really interesting read & occasional skips to avoid some boring bits. But largely really interesting.

Eurypelma it seems is the arachnid equivalent of the Archaeologists, "ritual" label.

That link confirms they should be sold as Sericopelma angustum. But not why a well known & respected dealer would still be selling them as Brachypelma angustum. So I still wonder if there a logic / reason for that?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you, hat was a mixture of a really interesting read & occasional skips to avoid some boring bits. But largely really interesting.

Eurypelma it seems is the arachnid equivalent of the Archaeologists, "ritual" label.

That link confirms they should be sold as Sericopelma angustum. But not why a well known & respected dealer would still be selling them as Brachypelma angustum. So I still wonder if there a logic / reason for that?

I did a fair amount of skipping through myself! I can only absorb so much info at a time! Lol. Good link to have though.

This is purely my guess here but, sometimes thry aren't aware themselves (because there are a multitude of name changes to keep up with) or decide to go with a more familiar name. Everyone has heard of Brachypelma genus for instance. Or it may be that like Panzo says a revision will be finalised and they could be waiting on that.

I recently saw Brachypelma hamorii's advertised as smithi's and the same seller was selling annitha's, which of course should be called smithi's!

Latest posts