• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma albopilosum balding..?

BigJohn97

3 Year Member
Hello, I'm relatively new to owning tarantulas and because of that I have questions. For example, my immature brachypelma albopilosum (unsexed) has a rather large bald spot on the abdomen. It hasn't wanted to eat in about two weeks and has recently taken to staying in the half-log most of the time. Is this an indication of premolt? If not what could this mean? The image below shows the bald spot... Let me know, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

brachypemla dex.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes they'll kick hairs off all around their enclosures as a defense and warning against predators. Thats the theory anyway. I've seen well settled spiders I've had for years and never seen with a bald spot just suddenly go naked. Stress will also make them kick hair. Many spiders arrive half bald in the mail.

BigJohn97

3 Year Member
Sometimes they'll kick hairs off all around their enclosures as a defense and warning against predators. Thats the theory anyway. I've seen well settled spiders I've had for years and never seen with a bald spot just suddenly go naked. Stress will also make them kick hair. Many spiders arrive half bald in the mail.
True. But I haven't seen this one flicking hairs. Just balding, not eating and staying in its hole.

Nunua

3 Year Member
You have already got an answer, but yeah, no need to worry!
Bald abdomen and fasting are clear signs of premolt, so sooner or later you'll have a slightly bigger B. albopilosum with fresh and beautiful curls :) Tarantulas may also just gently rub their abdomen to drop off urticating hairs around the hide, so you won't even see them to flick.

You would see this balding to happen constantly with slings - It won't take long after molt until they have huge, shiny and bald butts again :D

So the best advice is to give your albo some time alone without stress.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just for the record, bald abdomens dont always mean premolt. In this case it may but there are numbers of other reasons why. My G. Rosea has been bald for 2 years...hes a mature male that lost his hairs right after maturing making sperm webs. My female B. Sabulosum has been bald for over 1.5 years...she lost her hairs laying her eggsack. I have a A. Chalcodes that has been bald since I recieved him in the mail in 6 months ago...kicked his hairs off in transit. My newly molted B. Albopilosum kicked all his new hairs off in his new burrow and around the entrance when rehoused. My 2 male redrumps have lost their hairs from making new sperm webs weekly. A bald tarantula is a normal thing and nothing to worry about. Unless your the type that is constantly harassing your T then it's not from being defensive. I judge premolt by the Tarantula refusing food...or burrowing.

Latest posts